Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 19 preview problem
philm5d [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2013 17:13 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I'm mixing 4K/50p clips from a panasonic HCX-1500 camcorder and a GoPro Hero 9 action cam. After all shadow files are made the Panasonic clips play nice and smoothly whilst the GoPro's remain stuttered and jerky - both sound and vision. Preview is set to High (Normal and Low are unwatchable). I CAN fix this by the" Render Preview" button for the GoPro clips but it's just another step to do and takes extra time. I just wonder why this happens and why the shadow files do not play back smoothly from the GoPro without the extra step. Thank you.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm mixing 4K/50p clips from a panasonic HCX-1500 camcorder and a GoPro Hero 9 action cam. After all shadow files are made the Panasonic clips play nice and smoothly whilst the GoPro's remain stuttered and jerky - both sound and vision. Preview is set to High (Normal and Low are unwatchable). I CAN fix this by the" Render Preview" button for the GoPro clips but it's just another step to do and takes extra time. I just wonder why this happens and why the shadow files do not play back smoothly from the GoPro without the extra step. Thank you.

Post the MediaInfo specs for your GoPro clip or a small sample. Have you waited for all clips to get shadow files generated?

Another possibility, I'd suspect the shadow file conversion is not good, it can happen with highly variable frame and/or bitrates and unique GOP's of source clips. Your HCX-1500 is more than likely constant fps and bitrate. To get a feel, take one of your GoPro clips and use Handbrake to create a file at constant fps and similar max bitrate and same frame size. Use this in PD19 and see if the shadow file, once created, has a smooth playback.

If me, I'd stay away from using "Render Preview", it can create too many issues in final render.

Jeff
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]

Post the MediaInfo specs for your GoPro clip or a small sample. Have you waited for all clips to get shadow files generated?

Another possibility, I'd suspect the shadow file conversion is not good, it can happen with highly variable frame and/or bitrates and unique GOP's of source clips. Your HCX-1500 is more than likely constant fps and bitrate. To get a feel, take one of your GoPro clips and use Handbrake to create a file at constant fps and similar max bitrate and same frame size. Use this in PD19 and see if the shadow file, once created, has a smooth playback.

If me, I'd stay away from using "Render Preview", it can create too many issues in final render.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, the GoPro should be fixed 50P frame rate. The exposure being adjusted by auto iso and, I presume, aperture. Yes, I waited fo all the shadow files to be generated. I'm not much of a technical person I'm afraid and I find explanations of file types and their behaviour in software and hardware a nightmare to get my head around. Being a certain age doesn't help! The GoPro footage plays fine on the PC via VLC media player btw. Here's a short clip from the GoPro if it helps. Thanks again. Phil
 Filename
GX010402.MP4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
69869 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
philm5d [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks Jeff, the GoPro should be fixed 50P frame rate. The exposure being adjusted by auto iso and, I presume, aperture. Yes, I waited fo all the shadow files to be generated. I'm not much of a technical person I'm afraid and I find explanations of file types and their behaviour in software and hardware a nightmare to get my head around. Being a certain age doesn't help! The GoPro footage plays fine on the PC via VLC media player btw. Here's a short clip from the GoPro if it helps. Thanks again. Phil

Things seem to be working OK now. I hadn't optomized hardware acceleration since installing a replacement graphics card. Strange how it worked with one camera but not with files from the GoPro before doing this. Many thanks. Phil