Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio mixing
chrismckay1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2014 17:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
When you come to mix the audio within the timeline, where do you position the sliders on the mixing board? For instance, do you have all the volume positioned at plus 100 and then use keyframes within each clip to adjust the volume? Or do you reduce the volume in the main mixing board and also use keyframes within each clip?
I have been reading on the multiple online tuitions that it is important not to blast the volume and deafen the audience, but I am unsure if I reduce the volume in the main mixing board and also altar each clip via key frames, will my clip will be too low for the general public to hear via YouTube

Chris
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When you come to mix the audio within the timeline, where do you position the sliders on the mixing board? For instance, do you have all the volume positioned at plus 100 and then use keyframes within each clip to adjust the volume? Or do you reduce the volume in the main mixing board and also use keyframes within each clip?
I have been reading on the multiple online tuitions that it is important not to blast the volume and deafen the audience, but I am unsure if I reduce the volume in the main mixing board and also altar each clip via key frames, will my clip will be too low for the general public to hear via YouTube

Chris

Hi,

Always a complex subject unless you have access to decent VU meters and studio equipment etc.

Points to remember :
The "perceived quality" of audio is mainly affected by the listener's playback system (which is usually outside your direct control)
Most media platforms, inc youtube, use some form of normalization in their encoding.
Your own playback system will influence your audio editing.

So without access to studio equipment, you must rely on your own experience. Personally, even on a desktop system, I use good headphones to monitor audio. I set volumes to mimic what I perceive as average, pay attention to peaks/distortions, and then do some trial renders. I play back the trials on several platforms/systems and see what I think.
Many times I have had to go back and change levels, even between preview and final rendering, as the final production is not quite as satisfactory as my preview.

I admit I don't do much editing on the mobile platform, so my experience is limited in that direction, but I think the best outcome is usually a bit of trial and error, leading to experience of what a platform actually does to your content!

Others may have their own experiences to share.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do