Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Remove flash from a video
AquaUwe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 29, 2013 17:39 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using Flash Remover from NewBlue Video Essentials for many years. Actually, one reason I used PowerDirector in the first place. Now NewBlue has been removed. Is there another way to remove flash from a video?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have been using Flash Remover from NewBlue Video Essentials for many years. Actually, one reason I used PowerDirector in the first place. Now NewBlue has been removed. Is there another way to remove flash from a video?

Hi,
Not sure if I've come across an "free" automated "filter/effect" for flash removal suitable for PDR, maybe someone has??

Otherwise, it's fairly strightforward to remove flash manually. However, the variables will include frequency of flash, content/subject movement, framerate of shooting and final production framerate.

In principle, flash interference usually covers a single frame - but that might depend on exact shooting context - so find the frame and remove it. Simple.

But that gives a jump cut with a missing frame - immobile subject, like a brick wall, not a problem. Bride throwing her bouquet maybe an issue? Many flashes in the same few seconds and you are left with an animation of the bride - not a good look!

So, with luck the odd single frame removal might be acceptable but ideally some form of frame interpolation might be better, a smooth cut in other NLEs. So maybe use a very short fade if it works well enough for the situation?

The other variables will play a part but I'm not sure I know of an easy alternative if your NB has stopped. If you have earlier versions of PDR on your system, then NB may continue to work with them - the NB flash removal still works with my PDR up to 18 but I know that other folk have problems.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do