Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HEIC codecs for PowerDirector 20
ILS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 03, 2018 19:48 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
The latest IOS (16.3) update to my iphone 13 produces HEIC images and MOV videos that cannot be read by PowerDirector 20 on my WIN 10 Pro PC. Does anyone know of a simple and free set of codecs that will allow PD20 to read the latest HEIC and MOV files? PS. I am able to convert the newer files with Microsoft movie maker, but that’s one unnecessary extra step.

Moderation Note:
Moved to PDR20 forum from Previous Versions forum

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 31. 2023 09:39

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The latest IOS (16.3) update to my iphone 13 produces HEIC images and MOV videos that cannot be read by PowerDirector 20 on my WIN 10 Pro PC. Does anyone know of a simple and free set of codecs that will allow PD20 to read the latest HEIC and MOV files? PS. I am able to convert the newer files with Microsoft movie maker, but that’s one unnecessary extra step.

Moderation Note:
Moved to PDR20 forum from Previous Versions forum

Have you updated powerdirector 20 to the latest version using the patch?

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html?action=download

the notes saying the compatibility of MOV has been improved but I'm not sure it is the solution for your case.

If not, you can contact cyberlink support to report your concern.
ILS [Avatar]
[Post New]

Have you updated powerdirector 20 to the latest version using the patch?

YES I already have PowerDirector 20, build 2815
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD365 on Win11 and it has no trouble with HEIC files like this one.

I can't find any sample MOV clips from the latest iOS release, but you could take a short video with your phone and upload it here (using the Attachments button below the forum's text box), I'd be happy to test that out. Feel free to share a photo as well if you can open the one I linked to without any problems.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2023 00:31

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm using PD365 on Win11 and it has no trouble with HEIC files like this one.

I can't find any sample MOV clips from the latest iOS release, but you could take a short video with your phone and upload it here (using the Attachments button below the forum's text box), I'd be happy to test that out. Feel free to share a photo as well if you can open the one I linked to without any problems.

Hi,
Same for me with Win 11 and PDR 365 Business and the above sample file. From my own library of heic files I have no problem.
However a sample file (attached) downloaded from a random site does not open in PDR but does open in Photos and Faststone.

Apparently not all heic files are equal!!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
 Filename
sample1.heic
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
287 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Using the online version of MediaInfo, it shows that the biggest difference is the encoding level.

The clip that works with PD (image1.heic) is formatted at the Main@L3@Main level, while the incompatible clip (Saample1.heic) is encoded at the much higher Main@L6.2@Main level and my guess is that PD doesn't yet support that.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 09. 2023 16:32

ILS [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I'm using PD365 on Win11 and it has no trouble with HEIC files like this one.

Here's a short .mov file, taken on my iPhone 13 Pro after the IOS update to 16.1.2
When I drag the clip to the timeline, only the audio shows up.
PS. I was able to convert the .MOV files to .mp4 files in Movie Maker
 Filename
2023_Dec_Coba (1).MOV
[Disk]
 Description
a .MOV file taken on iPhone 13 after IOS update 16.1.2
 Filesize
1995 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Here's a short .mov file, taken on my iPhone 13 Pro after the IOS update to 16.1.2
When I drag the clip to the timeline, only the audio shows up.
PS. I was able to convert the .MOV files to .mp4 files in Movie Maker

Hi,
I haven't got my PDR20 active, so I used 21(365) and 19.

I suspect it is the .mov wrapper with the VP9 codec that causes PDR to fall over.

I have used handbrake or shutter encoder to convert to .webm with VP9, and .mp4 with AVC and both work fine.
Converting to .webm with VP8, .mov with ProRes422 and .mp4 with VP9 either do not load or load with audio only.

Not an iphone person so can't test if the configuration you have can shoot in any other format that might be compatible.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26470

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
ILS [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,
I haven't got my PDR20 active, so I used 21(365) and 19.

I suspect it is the .mov wrapper with the VP9 codec that causes PDR to fall over.

I have used handbrake or shutter encoder to convert to .webm with VP9, and .mp4 with AVC and both work fine.
Converting to .webm with VP8, .mov with ProRes422 and .mp4 with VP9 either do not load or load with audio only.

Not an iphone person so can't test if the configuration you have can shoot in any other format that might be compatible.
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=26470

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Yep, iphone 12 now records .MOV files in HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) - H.265. I can change it back to H.264, but I'll leave it on HEVC and hope that a future PD20 update will read the new HEVC. Thanks y'all.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote ... I'll leave it on HEVC and hope that a future PD20 update will read the new HEVC. Thanks y'all.

You might want to rethink that approach as PD21 is the current version and PD22 will be out in another 6 months.

PD20's last patch was released in July 2022 and PD21 hasn't received a single update in the 5 months since its release. Given CL's past history of updating previous versions for about 18 months, I seriously doubt that PD20 will be getting any patches for this issue (or for any others).
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yep, iphone 12 now records .MOV files in HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) - H.265. I can change it back to H.264, but I'll leave it on HEVC and hope that a future PD20 update will read the new HEVC. Thanks y'all.

I'm thinking you did something unique on transferring the video from your phone to computer. The iPhone does encode in HEVC when set, but HEVC is not VP9 as shown in your attached MOV file. To my knowledge, iPhone cannot record in VP9. That file was modified by Google, did you by chance use maybe a Google transfer device, like photo's maybe?

PD20 will import an IOS 16.1.2 HEVC iPhone recorded file, try one directly from the phone as see what error you encounter. Even with that, your better option is to convert phone footage with a product like HandBrake as the potential for highly variable framerates in phone footage often cause many editing hassles in PD, be it 20 or 21.

Jeff
ILS [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm thinking you did something unique on transferring the video from your phone to computer. The iPhone does encode in HEVC when set, but HEVC is not VP9 as shown in your attached MOV file. To my knowledge, iPhone cannot record in VP9. That file was modified by Google, did you by chance use maybe a Google transfer device, like photo's maybe?

PD20 will import an IOS 16.1.2 HEVC iPhone recorded file, try one directly from the phone as see what error you encounter. Even with that, your better option is to convert phone footage with a product like HandBrake as the potential for highly variable framerates in phone footage often cause many editing hassles in PD, be it 20 or 21.

Jeff

Jeff, Bingo! You said "I'm thinking you did something unique on transferring the video from your phone to computer." You're right. Instead of taking the .MOV files directly from the iPhone, I downloaded the versions that were uploaded to my account at photos.google.com
I finally got around to transferring the .MOV files directly from the iPhone to my PC using Anytrans. These .MOV file import file in PD20.
Thank you, Jeff.