Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Getting time length of clips?
2dguy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2021 12:33 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
I frequently edit videos with dozens of clips. And more than often I need to keep track of the time duration for created clips.

1) When selecting multiple clips on a time line, how can I find out the time duration total for the selected clips?

2) When using the "Multi Trim" tool how can I find out the running duration time total for my created segments?

Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I frequently edit videos with dozens of clips. And more than often I need to keep track of the time duration for created clips.

1) When selecting multiple clips on a time line, how can I find out the time duration total for the selected clips?

2) When using the "Multi Trim" tool how can I find out the running duration time total for my created segments?

Thanks.

1) If sequential clips, range selection will display range duration under the preview window. If non sequential, no automatic way other than manually add up durations.
2) No feature in PD, manually add clip durations from right had side display of multi trim clips, or after adding to timeline, suggestion in (1).

Jeff
2dguy [Avatar]
[Post New]

1) If sequential clips, range selection will display range duration under the preview window. If non sequential, no automatic way other than manually add up durations.

Jeff

Thx Jeff, but under my preview window it only shows the start time for the 1st clip in the selected sequence. Is there a setting somewhere to add this? Thx.

This feature is vastly needed in the multi trim tool so you can easily eyeball total time. Surprised it's not a standard feature.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2023 11:52

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thx Jeff, but under my preview window it only shows the start time for the 1st clip in the selected sequence. Is there a setting somewhere to add this? Thx.

This feature is vastly needed in the multi trim tool so you can easily eyeball total time. Surprised it's not a standard feature.

Appears that you didn't use the yellow/orange'ish range selection tools on the edge of the timeline scrubber. For attached pic, each video clip is 10 seconds so the timecode under the preview window indicates 00:01:10:00 for the selected range.

One can always submit a suggestion via the File menu.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD21_Range_Select_Time.png]
 Filename
PD21_Range_Select_Time.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
980 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
2dguy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Appears that you didn't use the yellow/orange'ish range selection tools on the edge of the timeline scrubber. For attached pic, each video clip is 10 seconds so the timecode under the preview window indicates 00:01:10:00 for the selected range.
Jeff

Awesome, that will help me immensely. Thank you.

One can always submit a suggestion via the File menu.
Jeff

Seems like all of my issues don't apply to the masses. lol..
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Seems like all of my issues don't apply to the masses. lol..

I think this one does for sure. It's been referenced for a long time with the workaround shown but no relevant improvements ever make it into a release.

Jeff