Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
One solution for error msg "Production unsuccessful. Please ensure your graphics card driver...."
Emphramla [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2022 22:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. I'm writing this as a helpful FYI with a solution that I found worked like a charm and is also very simple. This is about the error message:
"Production unsuccessful. Please ensure your graphics card driver is up to date...." and then mentions having the most recent versions of Windows Media Player and also QuickTime.

I fixed this problem by deleting the custom MP4/H.264/AVC profiles I'd created, and then just re-created the one profile I needed at the time. I did this after using one of the H.264/AVC/MP4 profiles that already came with PowerDirector, and there was no error message then. The error happened only when I used a Custom AVC/H.264/MP4 profile that I made. This was enough to tell me that QuickTime was just fine, just like it had already been before this cuckoo glitch of an error message happened. And Windows Media Player is installed automatically with Win10 & the Windows Update process is very thorough to make sure various things are up-to-date because it has come a long way in progress since Windows 95 when that was the very first Windows version that had automatically detecting updates.

I've been into computers since the early 1980's and Windows since the mid-1990's and I've become very familiar as time has progressed with the various increasing ways as the Windows versions have progressed, of how oddball glitches can look on the surface like it's a problem with one of the "regular normal" ways of fixing problems, such as the drivers or an older version of a program like what's mentioned in that error message. But no, an oddball glitch is just that because there is no logical pattern or reason for it happening, and that's proven by it happening unexpectedly when nothing has been changed that the error message says the program depends upon. Which then means that nope an oddball glitch isn't going to be fixed by those typical usual solutions, and it's a waste of time to try since nothing about them and their files has been changed. Nothing has been changed with the video/graphics drivers so even that is a waste of time to work with since PowerDirector was working just fine with the exact same graphics driver that is still installed now as before.

It's an oddball technological glitch and what makes it straightforward to understand as an oddball glitch is that none of those things mentioned in the error message as possibilities have been changed. So then, since the error happens when wanting to produce an H.264/AVC/MP4 file using a Custom profile that I made, a sensible thing to test is whether or not the error happens using one of the H.264/AVC/MP4 profiles that already comes with PowerDirector. And no, the error didn't happen and the Produce process worked fine.

And that's where it's an "oddball glitch" because on the surface it has no sensible cause, because somewhere in how the program works with Custom profiles, the data for the profile got corrupted and caused PowerDirector to perceive the problem was with the graphics driver or MP4 ability of QuickTime or WMV ability of Windows Media Player. So then, since I only have a couple of custom AVC/H.264/MP4 profiles, I just deleted them all and created a brand new Custome profile, and it's working fine again.

Something else that tipped me off to investigating that the problem might be with my Custom profiles, is that in another discussion thread about this problem, the Registry key of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cyberlink\CES_FunctionLogger\Data

is mentioned and all values in that key should be set to zero. When I checked my own Registry, 2 of the 3 values there were 1 so I changed them to zero, but it didn't solve the problem. But it did for someone else and maybe others who read that message post too, which also adds to the credibililty that it's an oddball technological glitch. Yet another message thread about this annoying error message mentions still other Registry keys where someone changed something and it fixed the problem, adding still more credibility to this being an oddball techno glitch.

What caught my eye in the Registry key I gave above though, is that only one of my Custom AVC/H.264/MP4 profiles was there instead of both and that struck me as being technologically incorrect which, to me, might be enough to cause this oddball glitch error message. However, I don't know if all Custom profiles are supposed to be listed in that key so I was just making my best educated guess. So that's when I tested using one of the H.264/AVC/MP4 profiles that comes with PowerDirector, and there was no error that time, so I deleted my Custom MP4 profiles and started over by re-creating the one that I needed at the time, and it worked.

What all this means is that somewhere in memory right after the "Start" button is clicked on for starting the Produce process, there is corrupted data or data being somehow perceived by PowerDirector in an incorrect way, causing a yucky bummer result. All of these different message postings with the various symptoms and/or solutions that people are writing, should be gathered together by the PowerDirector programming folks to make deductions of things to be watching for in memory at that point in time.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 24. 2022 09:37

QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
It's interesting that a custom H.264 profile you specifically created might trigger the error when you were producing projects.

Are you still able to reproduce the same error by selecting or creating the same custom profile now?
If the error is easily reproducible with the same custom profile again, you may consider reporting this to their support service:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/index.html

The findings might help them investigate and fix the glitch precisely in new versions.
Emphramla [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 09, 2022 22:38 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes indeed, interesting for sure, because of its randomness and unpredictability, which is what makes it an oddball techno glitch....or in computer programming terms that I have fond memories of from back when I was active with it, a nasty little cockroach of a bug.

I'm confused about your question though, of can I reproduce it, after how I described it in my message. It's random and unpredictable, there's no way to even try to guess when it'll happen. It means there's something oddball happening in memory with source code program variables which pertain only to custom profiles and not with the profiles that already come with PowerDirector. The way I fixed the problem when it happened to me is just like how I explained in my message as a hopeful help to others who have this problem who would read my message: delete the custom profile so that it's erased from memory and erased from whatever file custom profiles are stored in, and re-create it, although since I had only 3 custom profiles, I decided to just delete all of them and re-create 2. I don't believe the problem is with any one particular custom profile a user creates. I believe the problem is that somehow for some oddball reason, that it is custom profiles in general, overall, that causes this oddball glitch to happen but because it's random and unpredictable it wouldn't surprise me if there are many people who this has never happened to. I believe that way because of another detail I wrote in my message: that when I selected an H.264 profile that already comes with PowerDirector, the error does not happen and it Produces just fine.

Also, as my own precautionary step just in case it'll help, the first thing I do when the Capture window shows on the screen, is to switch to a custom profile I won't use, click Apply & OK, then switch to the custom profile that I want to use, then click Apply & OK. How I think of this step is something of a "Reset" in memory of the source code program variable(s) pertaining to what custom profile is being used for the Capture. Physically telling PowerDirector to use a particular custom profile is specifically assigning a custom profile to be used instead of just leaving it as the custom profile that shows there when the Capture window shows. Then repeating that step so as to assign the custom profile again that is to be actually used for the capture, makes double-sure that area of memory is physically assigned instead of just left with whatever profile shows there when the Capture window is displayed.

Random and unpredictable. It wouldn't surprise me one single bit if there are many many people who this error has never happened to who also use custom profiles.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello everyone. I'm writing this as a helpful FYI with a solution that I found worked like a charm and is also very simple. This is about the error message:
"Production unsuccessful. Please ensure your graphics card driver is up to date...." and then mentions having the most recent versions of Windows Media Player and also QuickTime.

I always create my profiles to produce video from some PD native closest to what I need.
For example, I produce videos with a low bit rate that PD does not allow me to do.
So I create a profile in PD and then I edit it always respecting some parameters, aspect ratio.
Path to the Profile.ini file that contains personal profiles.
In file explorer, view hidden items,
C:\Users\pcname\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\21.0
Open with Notepad++ for ease
For safety I always make a copy of the “Profile.ini” file to keep in case I lose something.
After editing, save with the same name, Profile.ini