Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edit 16.9 4K drone video to 9.16 for Instagram Reels.
Alpine310 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Feb 02, 2013 05:52 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Can anyone please help me with a method of converting 16.9 4K drone videos to 9.16 for Instagram Reels? I can't quite succeed with a quality video at the end.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can do it all within PD but you have to be clear on what you're willing to sacrifice by changing to a vertical video. You can squeeze everything horizontally so it will all completely fill in the new frame, or you can shrink the clip so everything fits without distortion but you'll have large black bars at the top and bottom with no content. You can also crop the sides and use only one vertical section of your clip. here's what they each look like:

The first 2 options only require a single edit but each has visual drawbacks. Also, the second one would let you put text or other photos/videos above and below which might work for some projects.

The third is the best quality, but it will likely involve keyframes to keep the focus on the main object if there's any movement left or right as the video plays.

All of these choices are available in the PiP Designer, and for each one you'd drag one of the blue dots and drag it to resize the video as desired.

For #1, click and drag the blue dot in the center of the top or bottom frame until it reaches the edge of the visual frame and release it. This will stretch the vertical content which is the same as squeezing the horizontal.

For #2, click and drag one of the corner dots inward until the clip exactly fills the horiziontal visual frame.

For #3, click and drag one of the corners out and away until the clip fills the vertical visual frame. You may then need to slide the clip left or right to center the preferred section.
Alpine310 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia Joined: Feb 02, 2013 05:52 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You can do it all within PD but you have to be clear on what you're willing to sacrifice by changing to a vertical video. You can squeeze everything horizontally so it will all completely fill in the new frame, or you can shrink the clip so everything fits without distortion but you'll have large black bars at the top and bottom with no content. You can also crop the sides and use only one vertical section of your clip. here's what they each look like:

The first 2 options only require a single edit but each has visual drawbacks. Also, the second one would let you put text or other photos/videos above and below which might work for some projects.

The third is the best quality, but it will likely involve keyframes to keep the focus on the main object if there's any movement left or right as the video plays.

All of these choices are available in the PiP Designer, and for each one you'd drag one of the blue dots and drag it to resize the video as desired.

For #1, click and drag the blue dot in the center of the top or bottom frame until it reaches the edge of the visual frame and release it. This will stretch the vertical content which is the same as squeezing the horizontal.

For #2, click and drag one of the corner dots inward until the clip exactly fills the horiziontal visual frame.

For #3, click and drag one of the corners out and away until the clip fills the vertical visual frame. You may then need to slide the clip left or right to center the preferred section.

Thanks so much for the reply. I definately want #3. I have got that far before but because it's 4K I don't seem to fit all the vertical aspect into the frame. (it's like I'm zoomed in) I hope that makes sense. I watched on YouTube video re Premiere Pro and he said he has to lower "the scale" to fit the 4K into a HD format. Again I hope that makes sense.

Update.... I think I might have been dragging the corners too far. I might have it sorted.

Thanks so much again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2022 01:02

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can also set the Scale Height control to 1.00 in the PiP Designer to exactly fill the frame vertically. You need to be in the Advanced tab to see the control, which is under Object Settings