Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 10 - region code problems
j [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2010 17:50 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 10, which I just bought yesterday, as a download.

LG GGC-H20L Super-multi blu-ray player, dvd+-rw burner, etc., etc.

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

When I try to play a disc, PowerDVD prompts me to set the region code for the drive, and says I have 0 changes left.

If I query the drive directly (through Device Manager), it says it is set to Region 1, and I have 4 changes left.

Any ideas on how to make PowerDVD 10 recognize the region settings on my drive?
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi J*******

A proper name would be nice.

If you go into Options, Properties you should be able to change the region settings, make sure it is set to region 1

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
j [Avatar]
[Post New]
In PowerDVD Settings (I don't see an "Options"), under "Blu-ray Disc", the Region Settings section is greyed (can't click anything), and the "Changes Remaining" box has a '0' in it.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear J,

please let me us at least know these information:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

In the past we had similar reports from end users - all of them are relatd to their AV solution.

for BD there is something you might not know:
- BD has Region A/B/C
- Region can be changed 5 times
- The DVD Region is independent from the BD Regions
- BD Region can not be checked in the HW tab of Device Manager
- BD region can only be checked in Player Software

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
j [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD 10.0.1516.51
SR Number DVD090924-03
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Retail, bought online from CyberLink (through Digital River) as a download.
GeForce 9800 GT
Driver version 197.13
RealTek High Definition Audio
Driver version 6.0.1.5910
DVI connection
Single monitor
N/A
ClamAV
Cannot set region code. PowerDVD says I have 0 changes left.
j [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, no response. Perhaps you would rather see the output from BD Advisor?

By the way... BD Advisor is incorrect on at least 1 thing - I have 8GB of system memory, not 4GB as reported.

CPU : AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor Yes
__dwItemID=1001__ : szLibCPUName = AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor
__dwItemID=1002__ : dwLibClockRate = 2500
__dwItemID=1003__ : dwLibFamily = 15, dwLibModel=2, dwLibStepping=3
__dwItemID=1004__ : dwLibNumPhysicalProc = 4, dwLibNumCorePerPackage=1, dwLibNumLogicalPerCore=1
__dwItemID=1005__ : dwLibCorePerPackage = 4, dwLibTotalLogicals=4
__dwItemID=1006__ : szWMIName=AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor
__dwItemID=1007__ : szWMIManufacturer=AuthenticAMD
__dwItemID=1008__ : dwWMIMaxClockSpeed=2500
__dwItemID=1009__ : bBatteryExist=0
__dwItemID=1010__ : szGuess=
CPU (Hardware acceleration) : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Yes
System Memory : 4096 MB Yes
Operating System : Windows 7 Yes
Graphics Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Yes
__dwItemID=1301__ : Adapter Compatibility: NVIDIA
__dwItemID=1302__ : VideoProcessor: GeForce 9800 Gt
Graphics card video memory : 512 MB
Graphics Card Driver : 8.17.11.9713 Yes
__dwItemID=1501__ : 2D Driver=8.17.11.9713
__dwItemID=1502__ : COPP=Yes
__dwItemID=1503__ : RGBOverlay=Yes
__dwItemID=1504__ : DEVICE=N/A
__dwItemID=1601__ : Driver 0:
__dwItemID=1602__ : [E:] HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L
__dwItemID=1603__ : eHCMDrvType=0x01846fc7
__dwItemID=1604__ : CDRom=1 DVDRom=1 BDRom=1 HDDVDRom=1
Blu-ray Disc Drive : [E:] HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L Yes
Software Player : PowerDVD 10 10.0.1516.51 Yes
Video Connection Type : Digital(with HDCP) Yes
Program version : 2.0.2416.0
System language : 0409 ENU English English
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please contact customer support

Thanks and Br

Werde Facebook Fan
oz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 02, 2010 16:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the exact same problem after upgrading from PowerDVD 9 Ultra to PowerDVD 10 Ultra. I've installed the patch that was immediately available when I installed v10 last night.

When I popped in my shiny new Avatar Blu-Ray I'm greeted by "This is the first time you've watched a Blu-Ray, please set the region code", and the window shows 0 region changes remaining.

I have never changed the region code other than initially setting the region code the very first time I played a Blu-Ray.

The only thing I changed between last using v9 and my first try with v10 was upgrading my ATI 2400HD to an ATI 4850.

I have the exact same model of Blu-Ray drive as the OP

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 02. 2010 16:21

[Post New]
Dear oz,

please let us know which AV solution you are using.

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
oz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your quick reply support. I also opened a ticket, #CS000860418.

What do you mean by AV solution?

If you mean my TV, it's a Samsung PN42A410 connected to my ATI 4850 video card with an HDMI cable.

I attached the output of DxDiag and the BD advisor to my support ticket.
[Post New]
Hi oz,

no - i mean what is your Antivirus solution

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
oz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't use any AntiVirus on my HTPC, since I don't use the web browser on it and it's protected behind the firewall anyways.

Support advised several things in my support ticket, the one that ended up fixing the problem is their suggestion to disable UAC ended up fixing the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 04. 2010 16:07

JUSTIN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2010 17:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I am having the same issue with Power DVD 10 when trying to play BD. I went through a months worth of phone support with Cyberlink getting no answer to my tickets. Now that the voice support has expired they have started the process all over again having me send to them everything about my PC. When (if) I get a response from Cyberlink on this issue I will post a solution.
oz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, I am having the same issue with Power DVD 10 when trying to play BD. I went through a months worth of phone support with Cyberlink getting no answer to my tickets. Now that the voice support has expired they have started the process all over again having me send to them everything about my PC. When (if) I get a response from Cyberlink on this issue I will post a solution.

Try to disable UAC, that ended up being a successful workaround for me.
JUSTIN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 03, 2010 17:31 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
UAC is off already. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Bill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 30, 2011 04:01 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I know it's a while since this subject has come up but I just encountered it today. After an hour or so I came up with a great solution. I agree that turning off UAC is a workaround but it made me think that I could do the same by just running the program in Administrative mode. It turns out that you can go to the actual exe file that the desktop shortcut takes you to - C:\Program files (x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD10|\PowerDVD10.exe. Right click on exe file and left click on compatibility tab at the top. Check the box beside "Run this program as an administrator". Click OK at the bottom and you should be good to go. Fixed my problem. I'm running win 7 64 bit.
Tom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 07, 2010 20:00 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same error on xp. was using avast antivirus, uninstalled it and reset the computer, and the blu rays were playing again.
Szymon1977 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Feb 19, 2011 19:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had similar problem with Power DVD 9 (bundled with Asus BD writer)
After PD 9 update "changes remaining" counter indicated 0 and blu rays didn't play (99% load then error message).

Fortunately I found this solution which worked flawlessly
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page
Both counters (Devices Manager and PD) shows 4 now and I can play all blu rays jus like before update
Margaret [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2014 09:20 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Szymon1977: Nothing in your above comment contains any help for resetting the counter. I have OEM Cyberlink PowerDVD 9.6 on a Dell Win7 laptop and was able to play blu-ray discs fine within the past year. Now my counter is 0 and cannot be reset. "Infuriated" does not begin to describe me. I've done a lot of research online - Cyberlink software is riddled with these problems. Never again for me.
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Margaret:

You said "Never again for me.".

You have an OEM piece of software that came FREE with your computer. Some of the OEM software is limited (teaser) software to entice you to buy the full version. OEM software is typically NOT updated so such things as changes in copyright protection schemes often cause issues.

You indicated that it worked before but not now. What changes - updates and or new software have you made? Are the discs relatively new? Do older discs still play OK?

What do you need to change the counter? Do you do a lot of NTSC and PAL discs?

What build of PDVD do you have. Was it ever updated since 2011?

This is perhaps what some of the issues are:
As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for this version. Any Blu-ray Disc titles released after 2011 June may not be compatible with CyberLink PowerDVD 9 Ultra retail version.

Remember you got the program FREE. Perhaps an upgrade to a newer version is in order? Or see if the FREE VLC player will do what you want. I have used several different software packages and PowerDVD is still the best for the money.

Good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2014 11:02

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.