Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
YouTube Short export format
Haroja [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 20, 2022 13:50 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
How to make horizontal normal video in powerdirector to vertical youTube short video without stretching and what export profile name/quality and format do i choose?

I can't see the full video in VLC
Although I can see all YouTube Shorts i downloaded in VLC normally

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 20. 2022 14:06

RED1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2017 10:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How to make horizontal normal video in powerdirector to vertical youTube short video without stretching and what export profile name/quality and format do i choose?

Change the aspect ratio, drag video to fit the box,produce and export as you normally would.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 20. 2022 15:09

Haroja [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote How to make horizontal normal video in powerdirector to vertical youTube short video without stretching and what export profile name/quality and format do i choose?

Change the aspect ratio, drag video to fit the box,produce and export as you normally would.

changed the aspect ratio of the project to 9:16 and unchecked maintain aspect ratio for video in pip desginer and changed scale to 1.000 width and height and i export h.264avc mp4 mpeg-4 1080x1920/30fps (13 mbps) format of disc NTSC profile type Default

same problem exists
i cant see the full aspect ratio of video in vlc like other shorts videos in youtube
The lower part is hidden from the screen

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 20. 2022 15:29

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
changed the aspect ratio of the project to 9:16 and unchecked maintain aspect ratio for video in pip desginer and changed scale to 1.000 width and height and i export h.264avc mp4 mpeg-4 1080x1920/30fps (13 mbps) format of disc NTSC profile type Default

same problem exists
i cant see the full aspect ratio of video in vlc like other shorts videos in youtube
The lower part is hidden from the screen

Change the aspect ratio to 9:16 as suggested by RED1. Maintain the aspect ratio. Resize the video to be smaller on the preview screen and crop.
Haroja [Avatar]
[Post New]

Change the aspect ratio to 9:16 as suggested by RED1. Maintain the aspect ratio. Resize the video to be smaller on the preview screen and crop.

Small black screen below video like the preview i check maintain aspect video and the scale now is W0.949 H0.909 when i make the scale H1.000 & auto change W1.044 (cuz checked maintain aspect) it became better but i make a text and put it in the end of the video screen in preview then i find out that's the lower part of the text not visible in vlc and this pissed me off

set clip format + set aspect ratio + the aspect ratio of the video is 9:16 (video is synchronized with project) make the scale by default H1.000 W1.000 and the text still not visible the only way to make everything visible is to make the the scale W0.817 H793
but the screen is small in vlc and i see black screen up and down

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 20. 2022 21:08

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Small black screen below video like the preview i check maintain aspect video and the scale now is W0.949 H0.909 when i make the scale H1.000 & auto change W1.044 (cuz checked maintain aspect) it became better but i make a text and put it in the end of the video screen in preview then i find out that's the lower part of the text not visible in vlc and this pissed me off

set clip format + set aspect ratio + the aspect ratio of the video is 9:16 (video is synchronized with project) make the scale by default H1.000 W1.000 and the text still not visible the only way to make everything visible is to make the the scale W0.817 H793
but the screen is small in vlc and i see black screen up and down

Here is the result of resizing the 16:9 AR sample video clip to 9:16. Resizing was done diagonally on the preview screen. PiP Designer was not used. Titles line up on the bottom as selected in Title Designer as it is on a separate track. See the screenshot.
[Thumb - 221121 PD365 AR.jpg]
 Filename
221121 PD365 AR.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
9:16 AR Shorts with the sample clip and title added.
 Filesize
75 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
Haroja [Avatar]
[Post New]

Here is the result of resizing the 16:9 AR sample video clip to 9:16. Resizing was done diagonally on the preview screen. PiP Designer was not used. Titles line up on the bottom as selected in Title Designer as it is on a separate track. See the screenshot.

First image 16:9(default) - Second image after resizing 9:16 preview (all text is visible) - Third image after export
(in VLC half of the text not visible) and (the product in the video is taller) not like the default one
How can i make the whole text visible and product size in the video is the same as default one in 16:9 preview?

Please be more detailed (Step by Step)

I can't find a video explaining this in youtube
[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Second 9:16
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
[Thumb - 3.JPG]
 Filename
3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Third VLC
 Filesize
52 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)
[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
First 16:9
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 21. 2022 17:11

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote First image 16:9(default) - Second image after resizing 9:16 preview (all text is visible) - Third image after export
(in VLC half of the text not visible) and (the product in the video is taller) not like the default one
How can i make the whole text visible and product size in the video is the same as default one in 16:9 preview?

Please be more detailed (Step by Step)

I can't find a video explaining this in youtube

You did not use any of the Windows apps to view the produced video. VLC is a third party media view that does not handle 9:16 aspect video correctly. To get it to view correctly, you need to send them feedback and maybe the developer can fix it if you report it as a bug.

The attached screenshot shows that all the Windows 11 media players display the 9:16 aspect ratio video correctly. The bottom part of the video is no longer missing or cropped. See the red circled title at the bottom for each of them.Order of players in the screenshot from left to right are VLC, WMP classic. Media Player, Movies & TV app. The 3rd party VL player is the only one with a cropped bottom.

The PowerDVD app needs the pc graphics card to be connected to the pc monitor with a hdmi cable or adapter for it to work with Blu-ray videos. That is to prevent video pirates from copying
[Thumb - 9 by 16 AR with Windows media players.jpg]
 Filename
9 by 16 AR with Windows media players.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
USE any Windows Media viewer or player
 Filesize
398 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
11 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 21. 2022 20:11

Haroja [Avatar]
[Post New]

You did not use any of the Windows apps to view the produced video. VLC is a third party media view that does not handle 9:16 aspect video correctly. To get it to view correctly, you need to send them feedback and maybe the developer can fix it if you report it as a bug.

The attached screenshot shows that all the Windows 11 media players display the 9:16 aspect ratio video correctly. The bottom part of the video is no longer missing or cropped. See the red circled title at the bottom for each of them.Order of players in the screenshot from left to right are VLC, WMP classic. Media Player, Movies & TV app. The 3rd party VL player is the only one with a cropped bottom.

The PowerDVD app needs the pc graphics card to be connected to the pc monitor with a hdmi cable or adapter for it to work with Blu-ray videos. That is to prevent video pirates from copying

I open the same video with windows media player and i see the whole video with the text but i downloaded youtube short video from youtube and i watch it in vlc and i can see the whole video without problems then i open the video properties(Details) and i did the same with my produced video and i found out that's video from youtube short is (1080FrameWidth x 1920FrameHeight)
and my produced video is (1920FrameWidth x 1080FrameHeight) the oppositelaughing Look IMAGE (1)
NOW i tried to produce the project with the correct format but in the program(1080FrameWidth x 1920FrameHeight) after export(1920FrameWidth x 1080FrameHeight) not workingyell Look IMAGE (2) [This is my first problem]

I want a solution to the problem of the image. I want the appearance of the product in the video as it is in reality, not taller undecided Look IMAGE (3) [This is my second problem]
[Thumb - 2.JPG]
 Filename
2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Wrong Width&Height
 Filesize
221 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
[Thumb - 1.JPG]
 Filename
1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Properties (Details)
 Filesize
109 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
[Thumb - 3.jpg]
 Filename
3.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Product is taller than original one
 Filesize
58 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 22. 2022 09:53

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

I open the same video with windows media player and i see the whole video with the text but i downloaded youtube short video from youtube and i watch it in vlc and i can see the whole video without problems then i open the video properties(Details) and i did the same with my produced video and i found out that's video from youtube short is (1080FrameWidth x 1920FrameHeight)
and my produced video is (1920FrameWidth x 1080FrameHeight) the oppositelaughing Look IMAGE (1)
NOW i tried to produce the project with the correct format but in the program(1080FrameWidth x 1920FrameHeight) after export(1920FrameWidth x 1080FrameHeight) not workingyell Look IMAGE (2) [This is my first problem]

I want a solution to the problem of the image. I want the appearance of the product in the video as it is in reality, not taller undecided Look IMAGE (3) [This is my second problem]

Hi,

Can we reset the discussion?
Your original issue was to place a 16:9 video in a 9:16 display without stretching or distorting. Is that correct?

The only way to do that AND retain all the 16:9 content is to place it in a 9:16 format and have black screen top and bottom and a small 16:9 video in the center.

To fill a 9:16 display and remove the empty black top and bottom, you will have to enlarge your 16:9 content to vertically fill the 9:16 display and lose a lot from the sides. Your content will not be stretched or distorted but there will be a lot less "visible".

Basically your 9:16 display becomes a "window" through which you view your now much "bigger" 16:9 video.

So far, so good. Other members have illustrated and advised that this is the ONLY way to do what you want.

The placement of any title needs to be done after this stage, as it is independent of any re-sizing of video.

You can produce that to your choice of format/profile to be displayed by whatever system/player you wish (see later points!!)

PDR lists the default common formats available for a 9:16 final video.

However, there are 2 basic ways of producing a 9:16 video for display.

Using 1080x1920 HD as an example :

Produce a 1080x1920 video with no rotation flag

or

Produce a 1920x1080 video with a 90deg rotation flag.

Both, no doubt, have their pros and cons but I understand that producing a 1920x1080 video with a 90deg flag has better compatibility with display hardware and software. I can't really comment on that, above my technical level!!

So your observation of PDR produced files as being 1920x1080 is correct, but you also need to take account of the orientation flag as well.

It has historically been a source of frustration that not all software/hardware display combos handle or read orientation flags in the same way and vlc may fall foul of that, as do many TVs etc.

In summary, many 9:16 youtube shorts may be native 1080x1920 with 0deg rotation but, unless anyone knows otherwise, all PDR produced 9:16 videos are 1920x1080 with a 90deg rotation flag and the same for other resolutions.

==========================================
I came across this in my research, which shows even as of late August 2022, rotation issues crop up in mainstream video recording.
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244150634?pli=1

"For performance reasons, the video is often saved with rotation encoded as metadata rather than rotating the actual pixels coming from the sensor. Most playback software/libraries will handle this correctly, but let us know if there's something unexpected happening"
=========================================

I hope this helps!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
RED1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 30, 2017 10:29 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]

Hi,

Can we reset the discussion?
Your original issue was to place a 16:9 video in a 9:16 display without stretching or distorting. Is that correct?

The only way to do that AND retain all the 16:9 content is to place it in a 9:16 format and have black screen top and bottom and a small 16:9 video in the center.

To fill a 9:16 display and remove the empty black top and bottom, you will have to enlarge your 16:9 content to vertically fill the 9:16 display and lose a lot from the sides. Your content will not be stretched or distorted but there will be a lot less "visible".

Basically your 9:16 display becomes a "window" through which you view your now much "bigger" 16:9 video.

So far, so good. Other members have illustrated and advised that this is the ONLY way to do what you want.

The placement of any title needs to be done after this stage, as it is independent of any re-sizing of video.

You can produce that to your choice of format/profile to be displayed by whatever system/player you wish (see later points!!)

PDR lists the default common formats available for a 9:16 final video.

However, there are 2 basic ways of producing a 9:16 video for display.

Using 1080x1920 HD as an example :

Produce a 1080x1920 video with no rotation flag

or

Produce a 1920x1080 video with a 90deg rotation flag.

Both, no doubt, have their pros and cons but I understand that producing a 1920x1080 video with a 90deg flag has better compatibility with display hardware and software. I can't really comment on that, above my technical level!!

So your observation of PDR produced files as being 1920x1080 is correct, but you also need to take account of the orientation flag as well.

It has historically been a source of frustration that not all software/hardware display combos handle or read orientation flags in the same way and vlc may fall foul of that, as do many TVs etc.

In summary, many 9:16 youtube shorts may be native 1080x1920 with 0deg rotation but, unless anyone knows otherwise, all PDR produced 9:16 videos are 1920x1080 with a 90deg rotation flag and the same for other resolutions.

==========================================
I came across this in my research, which shows even as of late August 2022, rotation issues crop up in mainstream video recording.
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/244150634?pli=1

"For performance reasons, the video is often saved with rotation encoded as metadata rather than rotating the actual pixels coming from the sensor. Most playback software/libraries will handle this correctly, but let us know if there's something unexpected happening"
=========================================

I hope this helps!

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I agree and making shorts via Cyberlink is easy and you have 2 options. I prefer the first as in my experience on YouTube they outperform the other style.
[Thumb - th.jpg]
 Filename
th.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
13 time(s)
Haroja [Avatar]
[Post New]
Solved
Thanks for the help

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2022 10:50

2dguy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 16, 2021 12:33 Messages: 43 Offline
[Post New]
Here's how I make YouTube shorts:

I record my clips in 4k landscape mode (16:9).

I set up a project in 9:16 format.

I place the 16:9 clip on the timeline. Using the Tools/crop-zoom-pan tool I first scale the clip to .315, this will zoom the clip into a vertical section that fills the 9:16 screen. Using 4k source material the "zoomed in" video due to the crop is still high enough resolution that it looks great. Then using the pan feature I "move around" the clip as needed.

Produce as usual.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 28. 2022 07:27