Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Thanks for the reply

It is the latest NIS and signatures. I work for Symantec ...

This may well not point to malware, but it is an issue givn that so many of the web have raised the issue over many months for Symantec and McAfee.

I have had to remove the s/w completely.
Oddly having run PDVD8 Ultra under XP (the version customer service gave me ... I could watch BD and HDDVD without issues.

Now Cyberlink tell me HDDVD isn't supported. I see it on their website as well. I've also seen various references to the patch that apparently re-enables it ... but I never applied any patch - so why it worked I don't know.

Cyberlink were really out of order removing HDDVD support. Yes the hardware manufacturers stopped making drives but many bought them and purchased PDVD specifically to watch their library of films. They then say you can buy a full version of 8 to maintain both ... at full cost ... that's outrageous ... also ... they stop patches for previous releases meaning you can't watch new BD films unless you buy the new release and run both.

I've never known a company so blatantly aggressive commercially.

Paul.
thanks for the reply

You have a similar build to me.

I have a DFI-SLIDR with FX60 and 8800GT.
The LG I purchased came with the OEM 7.3. The problem was that PDVD always prompts for updates and upgrades. I found the first time I ran the s/w it insisted I got an update but Cyberlink didn't provide auto downloads for OEM at the time. In fact, there was no update even though it existed for the retail.
After much frustration, customer support eventually accepted they we in an indefensable position and gave me a full PDVD8 Ultra retail copy.

I though this would sort all my issues.

I don't have many HD disks ... and yesterday I tried it for the first time since upgrading to W7 on a rentall. I hit the problem. The base release worked fine for BD and HDDVD with the XP build. Under W7 it won't work at all.

Again ... this is utterly unacceptable. What shocks me is that this seems the norm for this s/w - it always needs updating to play new disks. Cyberlink force constant adverts on you to try to force you to upgrade ... you end us repeatedly upgrading ... but never get a stable solution.

I'm really fed up to the back teeth with it.

This is the second time out of only two HD rentals that I have had to take the disk back to the rental shop without watching it.

Re NIS ... I suspected that was the case ... it happens with McAfee as well. This is still an issue for Cyberlink though. These are the two market leaders by a massive margin ... and both see Cyberlink s/w as malware.

Paul.
PowerDVD full Version 8.0.2521.50 (full retail) ... tried update PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 3017

PowerDVD SR Number (when click on "CyberLink in left top)
DVD081202-02
Operating System (including x86 or x64 Bit Version)
Windows 7 Professional 32bit

Is your PowerDVD a Retail product or bundles with HW?
I had 7.3 BD HDDVD OEM from LG. Because Cyberlink kept failing to bring out patches for the OEM versions and I went months without being able to play anything, customer service finally gave me a full retail PDVD8 Ultra copy which is what I'm using. I had used it fine with XP for a few months ... I then upgraded to Windows 7. Cyberlinks own site says it supports it ... and when I ran Cyberlinks own compatibility checker on this version on my W7 machine ... it said all was fine.

Used VGA
8800GT

Used VGA driver version
Latest - 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_international_whql.exe

Used Audio device
Karajan Audio on Nvidia motherboard

Used Audio device driver version
Windows 7 default

Which kind of display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort/VGA/DVI)
DVI to HDMI

Are you using singel or dual monitor environment
Single

Are you using clone or extended mode (if use two display)
No

What kind of Antivirus SW are you using
Norton IS (latest)

The detailed issue description
You have it already. I will add that I applied the latest PDVD update. Now nothing happens when you try to launch the program.

Also ... as in common with others on various forums ... when installing the base PDVD8 Ultra I was given under W7, I get a NIS alert saying I have a cldabcd.dll (Backdoor.Graybird) virus ... apparently fairly nasty. And it is in the videofilter PDVD directory ... It has been blocked.
Perhaps this is related to the problem.

I have removed all versions and reinstalled the original ... and I still get the 'Colour Scheme has changed' W7 notification suggesting some s/w had compatilbility issues ... followed by the Cyberlink 80040154 error ... and then nothing ... for all HD DVDs. Blu Ray sometimes gets to the initial splash and then crashes.

Cheers

Paul.
I have run your compatibility tool. It says my version (full retail PDVD 8Ultra) was ok.
I upgraded to W7 and now Pdvd starts but errors as soon as you try and use a BD or HDDVD disk. Both disks worked fine when running on XP.

I am currently downloading the update :

2009-07-14 PowerDVD 8 Ultra Updates: This update file updates PowerDVD 8 Ultra to PowerDVD 8 Ultra build 3017. For PowerDVD retail and online purchase versions only. To check the updates for hardware bundled versions, click here for instructions

but the information suggests nothing to do with issues with WM7.

The running version is 8.0.2521.50. It is activated fine. Just won't play anything.

I have never had a product that is so flaky before. I had the OEM LG version first ... then got this ... had to do the hack to stop getting the continuous upgrade marketing and activation / register message.

Please help me find a way of getting this to work !!

Paul.
Go to: