Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink support suggested downlading and installing these files

Latest PowerDirector 8.0 (build: 2220c) [Win7, Vista ready]
PDR8_Program_2220c_VDE090831-02.exe
and
PowerDirector 8.0 Content Pack
PDR8_Content_1931_VDE090609-01.exe

So far I have only installed the content pack and that seems to have corrected the black hole problem for me. Worked for two menus so far.

You need a username and password to download these files, so you may have to contact support to get them.

Arn
Had one instance where two black boxes showed up when importing a menu. One had no name and could not be modified. The one with name worked once converted to a custom menu. I always remove black boxes from disk after converting them.
In my case, all downloaded menus now show up black - even ones that originally worked ok. Therefore something has changed, probably in the registry. I opened a support ticket so maybe they can shed some light.

In any case, all work if you convert them to custom menus. Just open the black menu for modification and click the save button top left. You don't need to make any changes and you can save to the same name as the black menu.

Here is some more info about how PD8 works.

When you double-click on a dzm file, a folder is created in
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\CyberLink\Downloaded Menus
These folders are named menu001, menu002 etc. The created folder contains all the information for that menu and you can tell them apart by opening the thumb.png file

When you save a menu in the menu editor, PD8 creates anothe folder in
C:\Documents and Settings\Arnold\My Documents\CyberLink\Custom Menus\3.0.
These folders are named menu_001, menu_002 etc. and contain the same set of information as the menu folders in
C:\...\Downloaded Menus.

When you save a menu, a new folder is always created even if you saved to the same name. That means you can have lots of menus, in menu preferences, all with the same name. The actual menu name is buried inside the menu_nnn folder in one of the .xml files. I don't like this. I think, if you use the same name, the original data should get updated and you should be warned that you will over-write existing data. I don't know why cyberlink chose to do it this way, but I am a programmer and I know it don't have to be so.

Anyway, hope this is of some help or at least interesting.

Arn
Patrick

I have only downloaded a few. At first they worked properly (no black box), then I tried to be clever by just dropping the .dzm file on the menu preferences page. A window popped up saying it was installing the menu. When it got to 89% it just stayed there. It didn't hang just would not complete the install. I finally shutdown PD8 from the taskbar icon. Three successive windows crash error windows popped up. I did this twice with the same results both times. After that, I only get black boxes when I install menus by double-clicking the .dzm file.

One more thing. When I modify a menu, the save allows me to use the same name as the original, but does not over-write it. I find that bizarre. I would rather it did over-write (with warning) or force a new name. Am I missing something subtle here?

Arn
Victor

I do the same thing only I don't make any changes, just save it using the same name. Then I have two menus with the same name. I just remove the black one from disk and the other one works as expected.
Go to: