Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Customer support is non-responsive and non-helpfull. I did get one non-relevant canned reply. I sent a question about the canned reply, and I got the same canned reply again. This is one reason I am using the forum.

>Best idea is to contact customer support to see if they have seen/heard this >issue.
>
>Dave
When I try to play a DVD the player freezes a couple seconds into the movie. Immediately after killing PowerDVD with the task manager the computer freezes, then reboots. (It does this every time.)

I installed PowerDVD 8 a couple days ago. The installation broke Windows Media Center - it would hang when I tried to play TV. (Windows XP SP3, Media Center Edition 2005 (w/Update Rollup 2.) After reinstalling Rollup 2, Media Center works again, but now PowerDVD hangs when I try to play a DVD.

Note: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility reports that PowerDVD 8 - CLVsd.ax - version 8.2.0.926 is set as the preferred MPEG-2 decoder. (I did not manually change that.) This is the current setting, after I did the procedure below.

Note: PowerDVD is version 8.0.2217.00. I assume that's the latest update to v.8, as I just purchased/downloaded it yesterday.

Details of what I did:
I installed PowerDVD 8, and then Media Center hung when I tried to play TV, requiring a manual reboot. I then uninstalled PowerDVD 8 and Media Center still hung when I tried to play TV. I then reinstalled Update Rollup 2 for Media Center, and then Media Center played TV okay again. I reinstalled PowerDVD 8 prior to reinstalling Rollup 2, so PowerDVD 8 was installed, but the Media Center drivers were written last. Media Center now works again, but PowerDVD hangs when I try to play a DVD. I can play the DVD with Media Center.

Note: I did not try to play a DVD with PowerDVD 8 prior to reinstalling Update Rollup 2. I noticed the problem with Media Center before I got to that, and didn't think to try playing a DVD with it - I just tried uninstalling PowerDVD 8 to see if that restored Media Center. Due to the work involved in reinstalling Update Rollup 2 (which got Media Center playing TV again) I am not reinstalling or installing any updates to PowerDVD8 (if available) until I know what's wrong. (I had to reinstall Update Rollup 2 manually - following steps from a website - as it was installed before and I had updates that came after it.)
Is there another forum (web or usenet newsgroups) where I might find someone familiar with this problem?

I not sure why you want me to do that. The PowerDVD v.8 MPEG-2 decoder is set as the preferred one (and MCE compatible) in the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility (which lets you select the default/preferred decoder), and Media Center is playing TV okay.
I downloaded graphstudio anyway. The Cyberlink entries are either normal or do not use, most of them are do not use.

While Media Center wasn't working (before reinstalling Update Rollup 2) I tried using Windows Media Decoder Checkup Utility to select different MPEG-2 decoders. I tried the Cyberlink v.8.. and v.6.. drivers, and a couple of the several Pinnacle drivers listed (the Pinnacle drivers are marked as not MCE Compatible). There is also a "VOB MPEG2 Media Codec v. 1.0.562.0 that I didn't try, which is also marked as not MCE Compatible. After going through the process to get Media Center working again described originally, the Cyberlink v.8 driver was selected, which is also what it was set to after I first installed PowerDVD8.
Are you referring to a different decoder? If so, how to you change it?

Installing PowerDVD 8 broke Windows Media Center - it would hang when I tried to play TV. (Windows XP SP3, Media Center Edition 2005 (w/Update Rollup 2.) After reinstalling Rollup 2, Media Center works again, but now PowerDVD hangs when I try to play a DVD.

Note: Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility reports that PowerDVD 8 - CLVsd.ax - version 8.2.0.926 is set as the preferred MPEG-2 decoder. (I did not manually change that.) This is the current setting, after I did the procedure below.

Note: PowerDVD is version 8.0.2217.00. I assume that's the latest update to v.8, as I just purchased/downloaded it yesterday.

Details of what I did:
I installed PowerDVD 8, and then Media Center hung when I tried to play TV, requiring a manual reboot. I then uninstalled PowerDVD 8 and Media Center still hung when I tried to play TV. I then reinstalled Update Rollup 2 for Media Center, and then Media Center played TV okay again. I reinstalled PowerDVD 8 prior to reinstalling Rollup 2, so PowerDVD 8 was installed, but the Media Center drivers were written last. Media Center now works again, but PowerDVD hangs when I try to play a DVD. I can play the DVD with Media Center.

Note: I did not try to play a DVD with PowerDVD 8 prior to reinstalling Update Rollup 2. I noticed the problem with Media Center before I got to that, and didn't think to try playing a DVD with it - I just tried uninstalling PowerDVD 8 to see if that restored Media Center. Due to the work involved in reinstalling Update Rollup 2 (which got Media Center playing TV again) I am not reinstalling or installing any updates to PowerDVD8 (if available) until I know what's wrong. (I had to reinstall Update Rollup 2 manually - following steps from a website - as it was installed before and I had updates that came after it.)
Go to: