Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: Hello,

Could you provide your PowerDVD DX version number?
You can get it from the help menu or the main UI.

BTW, Could you provide your CSID (Question ID) ?

Daisuke,

1. Thanks for your offer to help me.
My version number is 8.1.
And my CSID was CS000615904.

2. The Help menu does not list keyboard shortcuts.
Maybe the Help menu of OEM versions are different, but PowerDVD DX 8.1 that was installed in my Dell just displays generic, not-so-helpful introductions to PowerDVD under the Help menu.
Quote: All CyberLink products installed on Dell computers are special builds to Dell's requirements and for the most part do not include functions that you would expect should be. This may be partly due to the way in which MediaDirect/MediaCentre operates.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear in my OP, but other keyboard shortcuts function well - most notably Shift+Ctrl+F for fast forward.
It would be really difficult to imagine that PowerDVD left out the keyboard shortcut for rewind only.

It is well known that the recent update to PowerDVD messed up the system really badly. That happened to me too. When I asked Cyberlink for help, I received the exactly same response - "Speak with Dell". Of course, Dell, which apparently received the same complaint from numerous other users, had no idea what was wrong with the most recent update for Power DVD, so asked me to re-install Windows.

How dare Cyberlink try to shift their burden to Dell when the problem was being experienced by all PowerDVD users across the board, Dell owners or not, which finally made them discard the update?
Just look at the question I raised to Cyberlink and the answer I received.
Just because my PowerDVD was bunddled with the Dell computer I bought, they refuse to address any question that I have.
This is not the first time.
Can anyone really believe that the nature of my problem is such that Dell should handle it?
If I had money, I would go out and buy TMT right away.

Question

Some of the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work with my version of PowerDVD.
For example, Ctrl+Shift+B, which is supposed rewind, does nothing.
What's wrong?

Answer

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

We understand your concern related with the PowerDVD 8.0 (DX) OEM version software.

Please note that OEM version softwares are customized version by the hardware manufacturers like JVC, Dell, Gateway, Inc. etc. You have received the special customized version of the CyberLink software which is shipped with Dell products only.

We would like to inform you that you have the PowerDVD 8.0 (Dell-DX) OEM version software bundled with the Dell computer is a limited feature version software.

We suggest you to contact Dell regarding the issue you are facing, as the internal structure of the PowerDVD 8.0 (Dell-DX) OEM version provided by Dell is different from other versions of the software.

If you face any inconvenience, please contact us using the following reference:

>> http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp <<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in this issue or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products.

Thank You and Best Regards

CyberLink Technical Support
Some of the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work with my version of PowerDVD.
For example, Ctrl+Shift+B, which is supposed rewind, does nothing.
What's wrong?

I use PowerDVD 8 DX that came with my Dell Studio Slim on Vista Home Premium 64.
A PDVD update seems to have screwed up my system, and I can't fix it.

Symptoms

DVD and video file playback from PDVD, VMC, and Windows Media Player is awful - PQ is very grainy and coarse.
Playback with a player that uses its own internal codec (KMPlayer) is fine. Strangely, BD playback has not been affected.

Background

MY HTPC is a brand-new system. Everything (video files playback, DVD playback, BD playback) was fine, until I downloaded and installed an update for PDVD. I didn't really care for an update, but a pop-up notification saying that I need "a crucial update" wouldn't go away and was becoming annoying, so I wanted to get it over with. Bad decision.
I suspect the PDVD update was the cause and not just a co-incident, as other users of PDVD ran into huge problems after the update and at least one user (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5101.page) is suffering very similar problems as mine, as I found out at the PDVD forum.

Measures I have taken that have not worked

Uninstallation of PDVD, uninstallation+reinstallation of PDVD, uninstallatio of all Codecs, and uninstallation of all codecs+reinstalltion of K-Lite Codec Pack (as was advised by Dell support, downloaded from
http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/). None of these measures worked.

My system

Dell Studio Slim with Vista 64, integrated Intel GMA X4500HD Graphics

Need Help

I strongly suspect that the PDVD update did a serious damage to my video system. I can't understand why reinstallations of codecs and video drivers were not a cure, but then again another PDVD user suffering similar problems also tried reinstallations to no avail (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/5101.page).

The last resort is to reinstall Windows Vista, and, in fact, that is what the Dell Support team wants me to do after everything they tried failed. But I'm really hesitant to reinstall the OS for obvious reasons.

Is there anything that could be tried that I haven't tried before reinstalling Windows?
Go to: