Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Well, I made another DVD with several 3:4 and 4:6 ratio examples at resolutions from 720 x 480 to 1280 x 1024.

It seems I was just expecting too much out of DVD.
Like I said, I'm not a big video guy. I'm a sound guy and I want to make DVD tutorials of how to use audio software for my student.

Although it's a bit of a pain, It looks like capturing at 800 X 600 or 720 X 480 will be the best way to go.

Since I'm used to using these softwares at 1280 X 1024, it'll take some getting used to but at least I found a happy medium.

Hopefully soon, Blue-Ray players will be $80 a piece and then I will not have to worry about it.

Thanks all for your help!
Thanks Frank,

I'm using PD7 to burn the DVDs.
I've already tried a couple and they don't look too good on my PC screen but they aren't bad on my HDTV.
Not great but not too bad.
It's hard to make out the text but text on a 1280x1024 PC might be asking a lot of a DVD.

I'm gonna make another DVD with video of all resolutions and ratios and compare them on my HDTV.
Do you think 720P up convert might work on these?
I'll give it a shot...

Thanks for your input.
Ya, I'll continue to mess around to figure out what's possible.

Thanks,
Matt

Sure thing. I started with a 1280x960 and the wmv9 HD standard does not look too bad.
It's certainly fuzzier and duller and the color is more greyish but for 2.19MB file that is a 1:571 ratio of the original,.. WOW.
Disregard the pictures in the last post.
They are degraded as well since the snap shot function in PD7 is very compressed.

I will post uncompressed pics of the same video in the library, time line and as a DVD.

Here are 2 captures from PD7. The Library is a screen capture when previewing the video file from the library and the Time line is the same video file when previewed from the time line (movie)

The original video file is 720x480.

I'm using Hypercam 2 in uncompressed AVI to capture the screen and it's doing a fantastic job. The AVI is completely indistinguishable from the actual screen it records.

the only problems arise when I bring those files into PD7.
Inserting into the time line degrades them and then burning a DVD degrades them further.

By the time I'm done the DVD looks terrible compared to any other DVD and especially compared to the original AVI video file.

EDIT: Even when (especially when) the video I start with is 720x480, which is suposedly the resolutiuon the DVD is at so it really should be much more similar than it is.
Thank you "on the web", for your input.

It looks like I should just capture video at the ratio I plan to use it in.
PD7's rendering/re-sampling from 720x480 to 640x480 is not only very destructive but it's also necessary as there is no uncompressed AVI 720x480 render option.

I'm a little confused. You have HD source files and source images (ie. "I've used 1280x1024 uncompressed AVI screen captures" ) and you are burning them down to standard DVD size ~720x480. In that case the DVD will not look as good, nor as good as the source AVI does.

No. I'm not burning them down to standard DVD (size ~720x480).
I simply put them into the time line of PD7 and that alone drops the quality a great deal.
The only time it's not doing this is when i use a 640x480 file.
Otherwise, the simple act of dragging the library file into the time line file causes incredible visual degradation.

I certainly wouldn't expect a DVD to hold the full 1280x1024 resolution.

As a side note, even when I do burn a DVD from a 640x480 AVI it looks worse than any DVD I have including ones made by low budget independent documentary film makers I've worked with.
Well, I figured it out I think. (somewhat)

When I use video that is 640x480 it's fine.
When I use video that is higher resolution it's not.

I though DVDs were capable of 720x480 resolution?
Is PD7 not capable of doing that?
Thanks Walker and Robert, for the quick replies!

The preview quality setting is set to high.

Good idea, checking the aquarium footage.
It actually exhibits the opposite effect.
When I click on the thumbnail in the library area, it looks worse than if I click on the instance of it in the timeline....
This is the opposite of what I am experiencing with my high resolution screen captures.
When I watch them from the library they look just like the real thing.
When I watch them from the time line, it's actually harder to read the text and all lines are fuzzy.

I did notice that my aspect ratio is not 4:3 but 4.5:3 so I will try it with an actual 4:3 ratio and see if that helps.....

K, I'm back.

I tried it with a screen capture of 1280x960 (4:3) and it is at least a little better. It's still a fair quality loss from library to time line but less I believe.

Oh, and yes, the quality loss is also there in produced files as well as DVDs burned at HQ.

I burned a DVD stright from an AVI that was uncompressed and looked great in QT and Windows Player but the DVD played on teh same screen was very bad looking.

I'll play around a bit today and see if there's anything I can do.

Thanks again!
Hello,

I have PD7 deluxe with the latest update.

When I have videos in my library I can select them and preview them in the video window. they look great.
AS soon as I put them into the time line they look terrible. they get blurry and fuzzy.

I've used 1280x1024 uncompressed AVI screen captures that look perfect elsewhere but look bad in PD. I've tried using 720x480 uncompressed AVI and it doesn't really help at all.

Is there a way to maintain the quality?

Thanks!
Go to: