Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hi Frank,

yes, I'd agree with the observation that (i) clicking too quickly and/or (ii) trying to do several things at the same time, may cause the crush. However, sometimes, this happens with no obvious reason. I am very careful in not running anything in the background as well. And my PC is rather powerful although it does require an upgrade I think.

The thing is that when you allocate the memory (e.g. needed to run an additional feature, e.g. cutting or PiP), in any computer language there must be an option to ask if the memory is available at this particular time. If it is not, then there is an option of not running a new feature due to lack of resources, and the user may be informed about this to wait a little. If this check is not realized, the code tries to get the memory which is not there and crushes. This is simply not a very careful programming. In fact, this may crash the entire system as well, and this sometimes happens.

I am just wondering if the actual developers are actually reading all this?

Lev
Hi there,

I have had the same problem: version 7 crashed very often! so I needed to save after every change. However, when I installed the patch 2227c, it became surprisingly stable.

This is what I recommend: go to the PD website and install the new version.

I have just finished working a very big 1:30 h project containing a lot of various stuff, it took me 4 days of intensive work and it crashed may be about 5 times and not during editing. Which is acceptable. I think they must have fixed a number of bugs.

Also, this may help: increase the virtual memory in Control Panel -> Sysytem -> Advanced Tab -> Performance (Settings) -> Advance tab -> Change. It is in the Custom size, change both initial and the maximum sizes: say, to 1024 (MB) and 2048 (MB), respectively. You have to have Administrator privileges.

Lev
yes, guys, it works: you have to be an Administrator.

It makes perfect sense:

1. by clicking on the downloaded file, a new file is created in the format which PD understands, which is copied to the directory where other objects are. This is impossible to do unless you are the Admin. as this directory is protected.
2. when you run the PD and go into the PiP room for the first time, it reads all the objects it can find, including the ones downloaded.

It looks like everybody runs Windows as the Administrator, not as a Guest,
quite a dangerous thing to do I should say! In which case everything works straight away!

I think the discussion is now closed.
Thanks, Barry,

1. I never actually edited the source file outside the PD, but that should work if you say this is the only place. I'll try to play with this as well.
2. Yes, of course, I first save the file on the hard drive, then activate it in the Windows Explorer, and only then open PD to see if it is there.

I think, the only point still to be tried is to activate the pip file while being the Administrator. I have not done this since when I click (being a User) it does give the correct message as being imported into the PD. Since the PD was installed by the Administrator, that may not actually work from the User's account. In which case a different message should have been given when clicking on the file.

I'll post the results later today.
Thanks! Of course, I did restart the PD. And the question is not at all "silly", thanks for being polite!

The only thing is that I use Windows XP, not Vista. May be this is important?
Dear Walker,

many thanks for this quick reply, but it does not seem to help: I opened PD7, started a new project, changed to 4:3 (in Chair - Edit - Aspect Ratio),
but I still cannot see the 3 object files (*.dzp) I downloaded. If I change to 16:9, I still cannot see them.

Moreover, there is no "Downloaded" in the drop-down menu, only: "All PiP objects", "Custom", "Frames", "Motion Objects" and "Static Objects".

It is likely that I do not do something as required. This is exactly how I proceed:
- download the file using one of the Globe buttons inside the PiP room
- I can see the file as [name].dzp in Windows Explorer
- I double click on the file in Explorer, and it says that it is ready for use by PD7
- I open PD7, start a new project, go to the PiP room, and cannot see it; I change the Aspect ratio to the other one, still it is not there.

I am using PD7, build 7.00.2227c

It may be relevant: I installed PD7 as a root (Administrator), but run it as a user. I'll see if it can see the objects as a root.

PLease, let me know what I should do.

Many thanks

Lev
I have exactly the same problem!

It all looks like a joke: you download a file from the Director Zone, double click on it after the download as required (some files show this instruction), it says 'it is ready for PD7' and 'will automatically be imported' into it, but is nowhere to be seen!

Excellent!

Can anybody help? Has anybody done this successfully? Then, please, share your expertise as I tried everything!

Lev
Go to: