Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I've been playing with the trial version of Power Director 7 and generally like it except for an audi issue I have.

When I render to mpg using any setting OTHER THAN an HDV option, the resulting mpg is except it has NO AUDIO (played on Windows Media Player); audio can be heard if I play it on the VLC player. If I render using the HDV (720 or 1080) then the audio plays in the mpg just fine. If I choose a basic DVD setting, for example, the audio will not play on the resulting rendered mpg.

Thinking this was an issue with PD7, I then tried Sony Vegas 9 Platinum and had the same dropped audio on rendered mpg files. In Sony Vegas, only when I output to a WMV will the rendered file's audio play.

I have made doubly sure that audio in PD7 is not muted prior to any rendering so it's not a user error. SInce I don't have a BluRay burner yet I can't test the BD output. For now, I just want to output some edited MPGs for creating DVDs that the family can play.

EQUIPMENT:
Canon HF100 (great performer)
Custom-built Intel DualCore PC, XP, 4gb RAM, Nvidia 7600 GT.
I've rendered miniDV tape to mpg for the past year with this rig before adding the HF100.
Well I discovered the rendering time is GREATLY affected by whatever edits I do; I hadn't given that much weight but alas it is true. Without edits I can render an MPG2 wonderfully, except now I'm finding that it os dropping audio from playing on anything but the VLC player. MS Media player, DivX players, etc. do not play the audio. The audio is there if I play the rendered MPG2 in VLC or in PD7, but why is that?
I just discovered that any filter (i.e. white balance) correction I add will severely slow the rendering process. I took a 3m35s MTS file from my HF100 and simply went to "Produce" after adding it to the video track. I chose MPG2 1920x1080 for output and it rendered in about 13min. This I can live with for now until I build a new system. Rendering for 720p flies and, without being picky, works well enough for casual family use. After all, I still archive the original MTS files (kind of like having RAW still images) for future production if need be.

Power Director looks like it will fit the bill, except I now have a concern that the "preview" proxy during editing looks horribly worse than my original. Dark, too saturated seems to be the modus operandi of the working preview. Thankfully the final output doesn't look like the preview but then that kind of defeats the point of having a preview...sigh.
I have the same issue. I gave up on burning to DVD and tried to render just to a file (to copy to DVD later) and that, too, was horribly long. In my case I was experimenting with the PD7 trial on a 6min AVCHD clip and was looking at 40+ minutes just to render to a HD mpg2 (1920x1080). Way too long IMHO.
I'm new to PD7 and the AVCHD format (but have a few years of Pinnacle software editing with miniDV). Currently, I'm working with the 30-day trial version of PD7 and like the layout and functionality. However, the rendering time is l...o...n...g.

This thread caught my attention because I too have an HF100 and I'm wondering about rendering time with the AVCHD (MTS) clips. The render times stated here are so fast (and I have a relatively quick Intel DualCore system) but I'm seeing rendering times of 40 minutes for a 6 minute AVCHD clip (1920x1080). Am I doing something wrong? I'd like to do some white balance correction and simply render it to a regular DVD in high def that's playable on a Blu Ray player.

Any feedback is much appreciated.
Go to: