Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I've been using PowerDVD8.0.2217.50 since last November and have not had any compatibility issues with blu-ray titles, although I admit it's been a while since I purchased a new title. But today I tried to play the new "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" blu-ray, and a popup informed me that I need a periodic update to PowerDVD to play that title. I've seen this popup before, and I've always been able to click "No", then start playback successfully. But with this title I was never able to get past the popup - it would just keep coming back every time I hit play.

To make matters worse, now I cannot play ANY blu-ray titles anymore. I encounter the same upgrade popup which did not exist just prior to playing Transformers. It seems like the software has been disabled for all blu-rays. DVDs continue to play OK.

I guess I'm hesitant to upgrade PowerDVD because I was having no issues with 2217.50, so first I tried restoring the system. Fortunately I had just taken an image of the hard disk, so I was able to restore the entire system without too much effort. However, even after completely re-imaging the hard disk, this problem persisted. Then I experimented by switching to another blu-ray drive of the same model and that actually fixed the problem.

I will eventually upgrade to 8.0.3228, but for now I'm scratching my head about what happened. It seems like the new Transformers blu-ray caused PowerDVD 8 to disable all blu-ray playback (AACS key revoked?). But the flag that PowerDVD uses to disable it is actually stored in the firmware of the blu-ray drive? Does that make any sense? Has anyone else encountered this?
I'm using PowerDVD 8.0.1730.50 and noticing some odd behavior: With either a Blu-ray or a DVD disc inserted, when I press the play button the disc starts spinning for a moment, the play button turns gray, but then nothing else happens. PDVD remains in this state indefinitely and never starts playback. But if I press the ENTER key on the keyboard, the disc will start playing.

I never had this problem with earlier versions of PowerDVD running on the same hardware.

Any idea how to fix this?
Go to: