Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Take a look at this post if you want the people at Cyberlink to see your rant.

Optodata, thank you.

I'll send them my feedback, that's for sure. Our entire universe works on the principle of feedback.
This service is very suspicious. It can only be 2 things:

(a) Sloppy programming. A service that wastes computer RAM even when not needed, and adds extra load on computer startup sounds like really bad programming practice. Instead, they should have made it a library. A DLL is loaded once at the app startup and automatically unloaded when the app shuts down. That's exactly what the users expect and want.

(b) Maybe it's actually spyware. Services are often little TCP/IP clients/servers. They can be used for any purpose, including scanning user keyboard events (to extract usernames and passwords) or even taking control over user's computer from a remote location.

So, either they are bad programmers, or evil programmers. Which of the two is it? I feel very unconfortable using internet banking or other sensitive apps while this software is running. So I went to Services -> Cyberlink RichVideo64 Service -> Disable.

There is no reason for that to be a service. Cyberlink, if you're not one of those corporations that spy on their users, and steal their most private data, then convert that thing from unnecessary service to a very useful library.
Go to: