Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Here's btw the link to the fix of the problem:
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/patches_4_ENU.html

Look in the patches for 2006-08-02 - it's the 2nd patch with the following description:

Updated Patch: This patch only applies to end-users who couldn't open the PowerDirector project file (.pds) (For PowerDirector 5 build number before 1227)

Hope this helps.
Matthias
Just had run into an interesting issue, where not even the customer support could help. Basically I added titles to my 16-hour project, saved it again and when I afterwards tried to open it again PD5 would always crash while working on displaying the timeline.

Turns out one of my titles had too much (!) text in it, which caused the project file (the .pds file) to get corrupted due to truncation of the title. At the point where the title was truncated, an invalid character had been inserted into the project file, leading to buffer overrun when read by PD5 and a crash due to invalid memory access.

The project files are in some slightly deviated XML format - that is after removal of the header it is true XML format. Good XML readers like Eclipse (with XML plugin) can then read the file and test it for corruption. Or you can simply open the pds file in Notepad, search for all your titles and check them for truncation. Interestingly the Cyberlink customer support is not able to verify the integrity the project files generated by their own programs!

Anyways, if you run into this situation, search the project file for any invalid characters in your titles, remove them, save the file and you're good to go again.
Go to: