Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote PD9 was released in 2010, back when Win 7 was brand new and many people were still on WinXP or Vista. The last patch for that program came out 11 years ago, and in all honesty the program is woefully out of date as it doesn't support any new nVidia GPUs and is lacking many modern features.

If you've installed it on a new Win10 or 11 system you can try reaching out to CL tech support to see if they can help you resolve the issue. However if you've installed it on a system with an older OS, they will likely not be willing to help as described here.

Overall I think you'll have a much better editing experience if you got the latest version (PD21/lifetime license or PD365/subscription).

Thanks for your reply! Now that you mention it, I believe I was running XP when I purchased the program (2011 sounds about right). I used it without any issues through Win 7, and into Win 10 before the laptop I mentioned above required major intervention. It was only after reinstalling PD9 from the disk that I encountered this issue. Otherwise, it works as well as ever. The message I got was that the produce mpeg-4 feature would only work for 30 days. I guess I'll wait until that deadline to decide what I'm going to do. (Frankly, I'm old, cheap, and I dislike the subscription model!)
I recently reinstalled Power Director 9 on a laptop for which I had to install a new hard drive and O/S. The install (from a CD) went fine, and I entered my CD-key to activate the program. Again, no problem. I recorded a program off the Web that included commercials, which I subsequently edited out using multi-trim. The original file was a .wmv. Upon finishing the edits I told the program to produce the project as an mpeg-4 file, and it responded by offering to "activate" this function. I said OK, and got the error that the program could not connect to Cyberlink's site. I selected somethiing like "try anyway" and it produced the requested file. My question is: is this something I should just ignore, or will this eventually stop working until the issue is resolved?
Quote Let us know what the project aspect ratio is set at in PD12 before you capture. VHS tape is normally at 4:3 aspect ratio to get full screen on the crt televisions 10 years ago. You should not capture in mpeg-4 if you want to put it on dvd. Select mpeg-2 capture.

If you are watching the video on a modern widescreen TV then expect black bars on the left and right sides if your TV settings are correct. You can zoom in on the image on the TV to get rid of the black bars if you want but it is not recommended.

Tomasc: my version of 12 does not declare at what aspect ratio it is capturing, and I could not find anything in "settings" that would allow me to change. But I do ssem to remember, maybe later in the process, of being able to choose between 16:9 and 4:3. 16.9 was the default, as I recall, and 4:3 was another option. I'll try choosing that when it's offered, and see what I get in a finished DVD. (I should mention that I discovered my Version 12 is not full-featured. At one point I was invited to upgrade. Perhaps they included a stripped down version of the software with this device....) Anyway, thanks for the info.
I recently purchased a Diamond VC500 USB 2.0 capture device, which included Power Director 12 software. I used it to capture video from VHS tape, and burn to DVD. The device and software worked well, but I noticed that when I play the DVD on my TV the image is not full screen. I used Power Director 12's default settings for burning the DVD: mpeg--4, 2-D. Is there a different combination of settings I can use to obtain an image that fills the TV screen when I play the disc? (My only other video editing experience is uising screen capture .wmv files in Power Director 9, which does yield a full screen image.) Any advice would be most appreciated.
Go to: