Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Yes, I'd like to play BDs on both my desktop PC and laptop's built-in screen. I think I've solved the former case with the method described earlier (although it's hard to be 100% sure without burning the test video onto a disc, which I can't do as I don't have a BluRay burner). I'm currently stuck with the latter case, as my laptop comes with refresh rates of only 40 and 60Hz. The graphics software won't let me create custom modes. I still partially blame the PC industry, as if they were more concerned my laptop would surely come with presets of at least 48, 50 and 60Hz.

If I plug the laptop into an external monitor I get more options, but that's not very helpful when on the train etc.

By fix up, do you mean convert the ripped video file in some way?
I agree it's a total mess. The PC industry seems to have simply adopted the US TV standard of 60/30 fps and made everyone else put up with it. I guess many users don't notice/don't care about juddery panning shots, but I find it really annoying.

One test I've seen to confirm frame rate involves taking a photo of the screen, running a test video, with a 1 second delayed exposure: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p
Hi markfilipak,

Thank you. I think you must be right about the truncation to 23.

Frustratingly, most monitors seem to be fixed at 60Hz these days. There are a few that aren't that are marketed as 'gaming' monitors. I've got one that will sync between 50 and 75Hz at 1920 x 1080 (graphics card allowing). I created a custom screen mode for 2 x 24 = 72 Hz and ran test videos within PowerDVD. There are some useful test files here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
The 24 and 23.976 fps versions ran judder free.

So I've got a set-up that seems fine for watching BluRay films. In your case you should find 120Hz works for 24 fps?
Hi markfilipak,

I have the same question and wonder if you ever got to the bottom of it?

In order to achieve smooth playback of blu-ray discs, it will be necessary to match the refresh rate of the monitor to the frame rate of the video (or a multiple of it). So it's important to know accurately what the frame rate is.
Go to: