Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
My bad ... My standard laptop build had Xsplit Gamecaster installed. After uninstalling that Cyberlink Screen capture started working again.

Ondrej, I have the Cyberlink Powerdirector icon on my desktop. If I right click that I get the option to launch with the NVIDIA card or select my Intel card.

Hope that helps

R
Ater testing the trial version succesfully with the NVIDIA fix - I decided the get the full version.

After installing the full version and implementing the same fix - powerdirector itself works pretty well with an occasional crash (pretty rare).

Now wanted to use the standalone screencapture tool whihc has worked in the past on the same machine - but for some reason doesn t work anymore. My best guess is that the nvidia fix of chaning the files has caused this ?

Any tips on how to solve this ?

I read that the latest patch might have a fix but could not find it on the update pages anymore ?
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/866546/geforce-drivers/355-60-drivers-break-hardware-accelerated-encoding-for-h-264-format-on-powerdirector-13/

This post on the GForce forum seems to confirm what Dafydd B is explaining. From this I also read the issue might be that Nvidia assumed Quick Sync on the CPU is better than the Nvidia GPU performance and therefor disabling the card for use. In my case the 960M performs slightly better than Quick Sync even to I have an i7-6700K. (the difference is minimal).

The fix provided by cyberlink seems to work for me (will be testing more extensively over the weekend ) so I will be using that while waiting for a more permanent solution from Nvidia (is Cyberlink in contact with Nvidia to ask them to fix this ?). For those that can't wait for the fix - there seems to be an option to update the profiles yourself with nvidia inspector but it does not describe how to do that so keeping my hands of of it :
Thanks PepsiMan - that did the trick !

One side effect is that powerdirector crashed once when launching with my internal GPU - then after restrating withmy internal GPU no longer able to use Quick Sync for MPG4 - is still available for MKV and others. Not a big deal as now my Nvidia card works without problems. Will test some more today and tomorrow to make sure everything now works but looks good so far.

Thanks for sharing !!
Had the same problem and uninstalling experience solved the problem. I do also get a single crash and after it works just fine.

I did lose the Intel Quick Sync acceleration option for MPG4 when launching with my internal interal GPU - but no big deal as I am using my Nvidia GPU.
Thx PepsiMan - good news indeed. I tested it and got a few issues which I posted in the other topic.

Was sort of hoping a lot more performance improvement with the GTX 960M but seems it is rather minimal.

I am getting a lot of program crashes when using the Nvidia card - so the workaround is not usable for me but hopefully a step in the right direction for the cyberlink folks
Thanks for the info ! Tested it as well and can confirm I can now use my GTX 960M - but few concerns:

• Seeing many program crashes when using the Nvidia card - not happening with the internal card

• ==> [Update] Crashes resolved by uninstalling Nvidia Experience / Shadowplay
  • Slight improvement in rendering time but difference with internal is not extreme

• Initially installed PD on my D drive - workaround did not seem to work when using a non standard installation path

Below are some results of my testing - overall I was expecting a bigger performance increase from the Nvidia card but perhaps the specs for editing for the intel CPU/iGPU are too close to the GTX 960M card ? Guess the improvement in rendering time will be more significant with longer videos and more editing/effects/color adjustments so still a gain - but for now not really usable due to the frequent crashes.

Can anyone explain what functions of rendering are handled by the CPU and what can be offloaded to the GPU ?
My GPU never reaches 100 % so is there something holding it back so it cannot use the full capacity ?

Thanks
Roel

Notebook specs

• MSI GE72 6QC

• Intel Core i7-6700HQ

• Intel HD Graphics 530

• Nvidia Gforce GTX 960M 2 MB

• 8 GB of DDR4 RAM

Test results:

Test 1
Launch PD with internal GPU
Not using Intel HW acceleration in Menu or rendering screen
Rendering duration : 01:06

CPU= 90-100
Mem = 40
iGPU = 0-1

Conclusion - CPU is taking care of most of the rendering.

Test 2
Using Intel Quick SYnc acceleration in rendering screen - Menu option disabled
Rendering duration : 01:06

CPU= 40 - 50
Mem = 40
iGPU = 50 - 60 %

Conclusion - CPU and internal iGPU are working together for rendering.

Test 3
Using Intel Quick SYnc acceleration in rendering screen - Menu option enabled
Rendering duration : 01:05

CPU= 40 - 50
Mem = 40
iGPU = 50 - 60 %

Test 4
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPU
Not using Intel HW acceleration in Menu or rendering screen
Rendering duration : 01:05

CPU= 90-100
Mem = 40
iGPU = 0-1

Conclusion - CPU is taking care of most of the rendering.

Test 5
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPUUsing
Hqrdware video encoder in rendering screen - not enabled CUDA in Preferences
Rendering duration : 00:56

CPU = 50-100
Mem= 40
dGPU= 40

Note - CPU starts at 100 % for effect/particales then lowers once done.

Test 6
Launch PD with NVIDIA GPUUsing
Hqrdware video encoder in rendering screen - enabled CUDA in Preferences
Rendering duration : 00:56

CPU = 50-100
Mem= 40
dGPU= 40

Note - CPU starts at 100 % for effect/particales then lowers once done.

Crash notes:

No real pattern. Crash happens at multiple stages. One crash happened when loading PD and filling the library with the default concent. One assumption is that the 3d video there had something to do with it. But even afer deleting that some crashes happened further into the program. I was using 2 tools to read the GPU usage - so might be related. And I am using the trial version so might be slightly different from the real version.
Hi Sonic,

Not the most helpful answer to be honest. I am aware that desktops are preferred but this is a machine used by the entire family so has to be portable to take it along. Might not be the best machine for professional rendering - but was advised should do well enough for home editing. I have tested a few other tools that do seem to be using the Nvidia GPU so still believe it is something somewhat specific to powerdirector.

I have resolved a few problems by upgradint all drivers to the latest manufacturer versions - but HW acceleration via the Nvidia card is still not available.

Just to add - for some reason I am able to create MP4 video with the trial version while reading other forums that this should not be supported. Interesting ...

Still hoping someone can add some insight into this issue. It might well be that the card just isn t powerfull enough and the performance I get is the best the machine can do - which is a huge improvement to what I had - just don t want to miss out on better performance because of something silly.
Hi All,

I have a new laptop and was trying to tun PD14 on it to see the performance of the GTX 960M but can t find a way to start PD with that card. PD keeps using the internal Intel HD 530 card even when trying to force to use the Nvidia card ( win 10 - Run using card x).

I have tried many video drivers and running the latest build of PD 14 ( I am running the trial version but could not see this as a limitation).

I open a support request as well (CS001567410) but perhaps someone on this forum has the answer.

My main question is why I cannot use the 960M card and what the performance impact is of not being able to use that card.
Also - when I disable the intel HW acceleration - my video looks like a reverse anti-stabilizer effect was added - very shaky so not an option either.

I found several related topics on the forum but no answer yet so opening this new topic.

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Roel

Request

Dear Cyberlink Team.I am very interested to order Powerdirector 14 - but first wanted to trial the software on a brand new laptop.The laptop is an MSI GE72 6QC with the high level below specs. I am encountering a few issues for which I hope you can provide an answer.1. Seems I am unable to use the GTX 960M card with powerdirector 14. The Geforce tool does list powerdirector but does not allow selecting the card to be used. Also trying to forse to use the card will not work. Only the internal GPU is allowed to be used. Any specific reason why the 960M card is not supported ? 2/ I saw some forum updates that compare performance between CPU, Intel and Nvidia rendering - and that test showed the Nvidia rendering to be much faster. This was the same CPU tested with a GTX 960 (desktop). From that I presume that I would also see improvements in rendering time should the 960M be supported ?3/ Rendering without HW acceleration provides a very poor video. It looks really shaky like a reverse stabilizer effect was added. The HW rendering with the Intel card looks ok.I have tried various versions of code for the card including the latest version 361.43. I also ran the latest build of PD14 and even tried installing the Beta version which did not succeed. DXDIAG is attachedI really love powerdirector and I have been using older versions of it on my wife laptop which had it as part of the factory build. So was really looking forward to ordering the latest version and run that on the new laptop with more powerfull video card...Looking forward to a response. I did browse the forum and found people with similar problems but no solution yet?Thanks RoelSpecsIntel® Core i7-6700HQ - Intel HD Graphics 530NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (2Gb)RAM DDR5 8GB
Go to: