Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >

The resulting .wav after "extract audio" is 9mb.
When playing the .wav in WMP yes, it has a progress bar, but no sound. Just like in PD8, the files all play, and have a progress bar, but have no sound. In the timeline view, you can opt to view wave form, or not, for audio. The waveform is flat. The very same .MTS files play in WMP just fine, with audio, direct from the SD card.

VLC player is free, able to read .MTS files, and convert them to MP4 files. I recommend trying this out to determine if the resulting file is playable in PD8. We know that the original is functional. We know that data is extracted and present in the resultting file when processed by PD8. This implies the issue is in PD8s ability to work with the resources available in the machine (available codecs, processing power, etc.). VLC player comes with the requisite codecs to complete the process. At a minimum this test will help more clearly define the root cause.

Joe

PS: I have to ask this simply because it has not been asked nor stated explicitly: When attempting to play these files in PD8 you have turned the volume up both in the timeline and on the pc itself?

Do you have multiple sound cards installed, perhaps on the motherboard and in a pci slot?
I can right click on each clip in the Editing pane and the media room, and "extract audio" as a .wav file from each .MTS file, but those also appear blank, silent, no waveform, no audio.

I want to make sure I understand this part: When you state 'appear blank' does this mean you have saved the resulting file as a .wav and attempted to play it on an independent media app such as VLC player? If so please answer the following:

• What was the resulting file size of the .wav file?

• When played does the progress bar advance at the expected rate?

I am ignorant of working with MTS files, and all but ignorant of PD8 on Win7 so I apologize if the following is tedious or not logical relative to process:
I have encountered a similar issue to this working with 'Garage Band' project files from a friend. The project files appear as zip archives in Windows and the mix down file has a .xyz extension which could not be imported/read by PD. I changed the file ext to mp3 and PD would import it, but no audio would play. I could play the resulting file just fine in VLC player but nothing in PD. So I imported the file into nero recode, converted it to a .WAV, and suddenly everything worked.
What I believe is at play here and in your scenario is unrecognizable data, missing expected data, or simply variable bit rate issues associated with the MTS file rendering PD 'speechless'. The conversion process resolves this as it writes the data in the predicted format.

I hope this helps.

Joe
This has been an ongoing issue for me until recently. Despite appearances the problem is not with PD but Win10. In order to fix sound issues in Win10 now you must check both the driver settings and defaults under Control Panel - Sound and 'Sounds' applet under 'Settings' feature. In the 'Settings' - 'Sounds' applet, with PD open, make sure that the PD sound output is set to the correct option. If it says 'default' click the dropdown arrow and select one of the other options, check your audion, and repeat until resolved. In most cases you will have default and 1 or 2 other options depending on your monitor and installed sound cards.

If this doesn't resolve it there is one other simple solution that may have been overlooked: if you are using a flat screen HD TV as monitor vs traditional design monitor make sure your TV volume is turned up.

I hope this helps.

Joe
Go to: