Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote:
Quote:
Have no clue why the quote function doesn't work.

When I clicked the quote button 'Disable BB Code in this message' was ticked.

You might check that the next time you use the quote function.

Hope this helps

Hal

Thank you. Interesting, I went back to that message and tried to uncheck it and it just checked itself again. When I quote yours, that option isn't checked off. SO it will be interesting to see if this quotes properly.

ETA nevermind I realize what I did
Quote: curt y

I like manuals more than video learning. Are there any good books on PowerDirector 9, or even 8

There is a user guide that you can download here http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/userguide_en_CA.html

Quote: curt y

I like manuals more than video learning. Are there any good books on PowerDirector 9, or even 8

There is a user guide that you can download here http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/userguide_en_CA.html

[b]curt y[/b]

[quote]I like manuals more than video learning. Are there any good books on PowerDirector 9, or even 8[/quote]

Quote: I don't know mush about computers, But my problem is, Every time I click on my Cyberlink PowerDirector9, It starts to load up and the file is ready to loaded the stopped working program comes on......I can't get in! This happen before in the past where after couple try, I was able to get in...as time went on, I had no problem with it.I purchased 4 months ago...It started again last week, But now it comes on every time with every try! I uninstall and reinstall...downloaded all updates....I also updated my NVIDIA graphics card. Is my software corrupt? I sent two emails to support all ready. This only happens to this application. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help. Thanks

Am I right in thinking that the program opens BUT you have it set to load the last project you were working on? When it starts to load the project you get the error message? OR Power Director not load at all.
[quote=Dave212321]I have a few transitions that are choppy with a video stutter and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this and can suggest ways of making the transition smoother.

I'm sure there may be some questions I need answering before I can rectify this.

I would appreciate if we can discuss a possible cause and solution. [/quote]

Are they choppy when you are playing the video as you are editing OR are they choppy after you produce the video?
Quote: Hi McLean, Cranston, Robert & Harry -

Personally, I'm a splitter not a trimmer... but the outcome is still the same. Harry - PD should not be producing a 40 minute video if you only have 30 seconds on the timeline.

If you begin with (say) a 5 minute clip & split off and remove the first 4 minutes, you'll get a 1 minute produced file. If you opt to trim instead, and place a mark-out point at 1 minute, you'll still get a 1 minute clip.

Harry - you know how Robert asked whether there was only 30 seconds of the original video left in the timeline... Is there???

Cheers - Tony

Tony, Harry must have been posting while you were composing this post, because he solved his problem, take a look up.
Quote: Awesome forum. Thank you so much guys. Well Murphy's law, or I guess the opposite, reared its cliched head shortly after I posted and I found a solution using the trim function that worked. The mistake I was making was doing my trimming in the preview window and then dragging that down to the timeline. The 40 minute video was still in the library and it occured to me that maybe that was the section that Produce was working from. And I guess it was.

<snip>

I'll definitely try the split methods and other great tips mentioned. And I'm pretty sure I'll be back with more noobish questions in the future although I'll try my best to not to bother you guys too much.
Again many thanks for the quick help.
Harry (actually Tom)

Never even thought of that one. Glad you figured it out.
Quote: Hi McLean,

You can also, as Robert mentioned above... use the "." & "," keys. to advance a frame at a time. But I was just giving the old school method to start, so when one was trying it for the first time, they could see what was happening.
Good to see around the forums again!

I appreciate the input Cranston. Thanks for the welcome back.
Quote: Hi all,

Just a probably unnecessary 2 cents worth here.

But… while it is true that in previous versions of PD, one could only Split every third frame. In PD9, the Split function now works on the single frame level. You can in effect, Split out a single frame and delete the rest.

You just have to expand your timeline nearly as far as it will go, and then when you slide your scrubber, it will move in increments of one frame at a time. Once the desired frame is reached, just click on Split, and you’ll get the same accuracy as you would in the Trim room. And since there are 30 frames in each second of footage (25 in PAL), being able to Split every one thirtieth of a second, is a pretty accurate Split.

Which method is faster? Trim or Split? I guess that would be up to each individual to decide.

Thank you for that, I didn't realize it, since as I said I've really started to use PD9 (tonight in fact) to do more than just split and tag videos. If you have to expand your timeline out as far as it will go in order to split it accurately though, it would seem, for me, if I have 10 videos on the timeline at the same time, to be a little more time consuming to drag it out and then have to drag it back to see the other videos i'm editing. This is certainly something to keep in mind.
Quote: Just a tip for people using split you can just drag the end of the split video to drag it out or in a little or a lot even after you have split the video.

The only this is if it is butted up against another video you can't move it. If there is room around the split clip though you can drag it in and out as much as you like.

Very true you can drag it, but if you want .05 more or even .03 more, it is very difficult to drag that small of an increment properly, this is where the trim function comes in. You might just need to tweak your video a small fraction of a second in order to get the audio and video to sync up. If you are working with large increments, then dragging it longer or shorter works (if there is room around the clip). Sometimes the syncing is just too finicky to use that option.
Well I do use the trim function, however, I have just started to try using Power Director 9, for my projects. Since I edit concert video, I tend to want to move my video a few fractions of a second one way or the other (to sync audio) and splitting doesn't accomplish that. Having said that I have realized that in order to actually trim a video, you have to go into the trim screen, put in the 'mark in' or 'mark out' number you want and then click on the scrubber icon at the beginning or end (depending upon where you want to trim) otherwise it doesn't seem to trim.

It is true, however, if you are just playing the video to a certain point and wanting to keep a portion, the split function is the quickest and easiest to use..it would just be when you need fractions of a second more or less on your video (or audio) that you need to use the trim screen.

I agree with Robert2 S the avi format creates HUGE files. You are better to stay with an mpeg2.
Quote: For what it's worth :-

I'm currently running PD9 2330 (having had to roll back to troubleshoot a few issues) Win7 64bit Ati4650

The original clip has an "unusual" audio codec - ADPCM U-Law that has been known to cause issues -http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3002
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49628
for example

and plays fine in the media library but only video plays and displays in the timeline, no audio is available.

If the clip is run through format factory, using standard settings to .mov format, the audio is converted to AAC -LC which plays and displays perfectly in PD9.

So for some later releases of PD all seems OK, but for others no audio.

I would suggest a codec issue, but haven't had time to delve any deeper. Practically, one could batch process the clips in format factory to get a workaround for the time being??

Cheers
Adrian

I was originally running the first version of PD9 (since I have only been using it for splitting and tagging video - no fancy editing). When I downloaded the .mov clip, I took had just the video line showing (although audio played in the workspace). I upgraded to 2702, with no change. I too am on windows 7 64bit AT4650. I did move the clip over to another computer that I'm using PD7.3017 on (which is still my main editing program) Windows XP SP2 and the clip has audio in the workspace and timeline. (now I may have more codecs installed on this machine than the W7 one)....I also pulled in an MP4 form another camera (panasonic perhaps) and a .mov from a Canon SX20, they have audio in both spots..

This doesn't really solve anything, but just adds to the information available so far.
Quote: Okay again, I was fooling around with it some more and I got it to work with some troubleshooting with my husband. Using the same file I started a new project imported the same .mov file. Drug it to my storyline and it worked! I closed it, opened a new project imported the same file and the second time it did not work. It is definitely an issue with Cyberlink. I thought it must be the camera. But no, since it worked once with the file from the camera/memory stick that ruled out that thought. So once again, it is back to troubleshooting with you Cyberlink experts.

Thank you again for your help.
Virginia

I probably shouldn't weigh in on this BUT after reading through this whole thread and seeing this last note, it seems that there may be a software conflict somewhere. I am curious to know if you drag the .mov file into the timeline and process it, does it have audio.

SO, if you have audio in the workspace and timeline and process it (does the processed file have audio) it would be logical that it would.

IF you have audio in the workspace and NOT in the timeline and you process it, does it have audio??

If you drag a different .mov file in from the same camera, does it have audio. Sometimes it's just a flukey thing, one clip does not work the way we expect it to, but clips from the same camera, in the same project do work.

This doesn't solve your problem at all, this is just my curiosity getting the better of me.
Quote:
Great capture, I think it's time for PMs I want to do THAT asap, I want widescreen, hi def and for the life of me can't seem to get enough advice, easily enough, without reading tons and tons. PLUS it needs to be portable (so I'm hoping this solution is.)

Thank you so much for your input, I look forward to your advice on my options.

I don't know how portable this unit is, you must have the software installed on the computer you are using for capture.

Thanks for your response. Based on the fact that I'm using a laptop it should be pretty portable.
Which is wonderful except I want to capture things that are playing on TV or from something I have captured on my DVR. So importing from another source doesn't accomplish what I am trying to do.

Carl312

OK, first question, what brand of receiver?
Dishnetwork or DirectTV?

This one is DirectTV but I'm from Canada and I also have a Rogers HiDef DVR (which is similar to Comcast) and I'm connected directly to a digital box at home also (not a dvr I capture real time) same issue.

Carl312

Next question, what connection are you using for output from the DVR to your capture card?
(I bet the TV2 Video out, Yellow, Red, White jacks).
If so, that output is analog and Standard definition, 4:3 ratio.
On my receiver(Dish), I can play with the TV2 HDTV preferences, nothing changes the aspect ratio that is output from the receiver.

I have the RCA connectors here and a coax. I have HDMI out on the DVR but no HDMI in on my capture card. At home same thing (here external and internal cards, have a desktop and a laptop, but have only what I think/thought was a hi def capture card for the laptop) WinTV HVR 1500. I also just purchased a WinTV HVR 950Q which I bought to beable to send to others to capture.

Carl312

All of the information about your video and the sample video you posted are 4:3 aspect ratio, they are 1280x720 resolution, but that alone does not determine the aspect ratio.

Yes I know, it's frustrating.

Carl312

I have a solution for capturing HD 16:9 video from TV, but it costs $$$.
And it does not use the capture module in PowerDirector.

I am interested in knowing this and if you are adept at capturing hi def from a digital box, I'm game to learn (but since it isn't PD, then we can take it to PM)

Carl312
Complaint from me, a commercial for a sample!!! Shame.
It does play as expected, it is a 4:3 Aspect Ratio and is 1280x720 resolution.

What I see is a letter boxed 16:9 video output in a 4:3 letter box format.

If you answer No to the warning window about the video being 4:3 you added to the timeline, you will still have a 16:9 project, and will show in the preview viewer as a Letter box wide screen video.

Oops sorry. That was the capture clip, I did not process it in PD so there was no warning, although if I drag and drop that into the timeline there would have been. It is really a widescreen clip in a fullscreen capture. Thus your black lines all around the image (I just went for the smallest clip I already had)

Carl312

I attach a screen shot of your sample in my PD, project is set to 16:9.
Second attachment is a Capture I did from my HD receiver using my solution.

PD can play this file, save to hard disk and import into PD.

Great capture, I think it's time for PMs I want to do THAT asap, I want widescreen, hi def and for the life of me can't seem to get enough advice, easily enough, without reading tons and tons. PLUS it needs to be portable (so I'm hoping this solution is.)

Thank you so much for your input, I look forward to your advice on my options.

Carl312
In the Capture module, the selection you have made is the TV capture. As far as I Know, the TV capture is for analog TV in a 4:3 ratio.

There are two capture modes Analog and Digital. There are there are profiles you can set as far as dimensons but I do not see parameters for aspect ratio.

Carl312

The best way to get a video into Powerdirector in Wide format is to import a 16:9 video from some other source.

Which is wonderful except I want to capture things that are playing on TV or from something I have captured on my DVR. So importing from another source doesn't accomplish what I am trying to do.

Carl312

We forum users, could have a better idea of what you are actually capturing if you would attach a short 5 or 10 second video of your source material. We could then examine your video and see what happens.

Here you go.. Captured at 1280x720 dimensions but when imported into PD it still has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Carl312

One other thing, search Google for a free program named "MediaInfo". Download and Install. Use to see the actual parameters of your video.

I did this, this program is similar to G-Spot from the looks of things. Here is the information about the video.

Video
ID : 224 (0xE0)
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Format profile : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Duration : 4s 438ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 339 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 8 000 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.266
Stream size : 3.88 MiB (91%)

To attach files to the forum, Use the "Post Reply" button at the top of the forum, Click the Attachments Button to attach files.
I am trying to bump this up with hopes of a response.

I still don't understand why I am having this issue. When I am in edit mode the aspect ratio is set at 16:9 (since I wondered if that was an issue, don't know why but I was trying everything). In capture mode, my capture is customized to 1280x720. When I check the properties on the captured clip it says that the dimensions are 1280x720 BUT when the clip drops into the timeline I get the notice that my project properties are 16:9 and the clip is 4:3. How do I fix this. I don't see how to fix the aspect ratio in capture, just the dimensions.

Is this a glitch in the software? Has someone been able to come up with a solution? Does no one capture from a dvr/tv??

Thanks.
Another option would be to click on the storyboard option, you should be able to see the black squares there and just delete them. Sometimes when I'm worried about things being abutted properly I load my video this way, then there are no spaces in between.
This is an ongoing problem not just typical of PD9. I haven't worried about it because a lot of the shows were still full screen. As TV is becoming more and more widescreen I am trying to record TV this way.

I have set my capture settings at widescreen (but it still says that the capture is 4:3) of course if I process as WS with the capture at 4:3, it looks odd.

Picture 1. Settings for edit show 16:9 widescreen

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/goldarngirl/editsettings.jpg

Picture 2. Settings for capture set for 1280x720 (which I believe should equate to widescreen capture)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/goldarngirl/settings.jpg

Picture 3. Video captured for editing (no matter what the settings the video comes in at the aspect is 4:3)

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l171/goldarngirl/aspectwarning.jpg

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Go to: