Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Just to share my tonight's experience (and to help), I did hours of tests with Adobe Premiere Elements 12.1

The produced files are *much* better quality than PD with the same rendering parameters.

I don't want to be a bother, but I really think PD has a bug in its H264 algorithm. It should maybe be adressed...
Hello Dafydd,

I disabled shadow files when you told me, to test the hardware acceleration.
When I seen it didn't improve the result, I switched it on again because PD was awfully slow when moving along the timeline without it.

I had green icons in the thumbnails.

I uninstalled PD since I'm going to try other video softwares.
That way I'll be able to objectively compare them. :)

Yours
Thank you for your answer Tony,

At no time have you said which particular effects, overlays or enhancements you've applied that cause the blocky artifacts.
*everything*. As soon as PD recompresses, you get the blocky artifacts.
Just take the video, disable SVRT, produce, you'll get blocky artifacts.

OK - using the sample clip, I was able to produce patches of blockiness immediately following a PiP Motion object (Action). The produced file showed no ill-effects from and FX, enhancements, transitions or animated titles I tried.

What about if you render it without SVRT? If you get no artifacts, then it must come from hardware acceleration. But I already tried disabling it and I seen no improvements.

- Using SVRT doesn't cause it. Slight oss of colour can often occur when producing/rendering.
In the digital era, it doesn't make sense. Colour is a precise information, it shouldn't be lost when producing.

I'd suggest you might look at the settings in your screen capture software to output a higher quality. e.g. the VBR of your sample clip is only ~8MBps.
I already tried increasing the original bps, and it changed nothing.

The sample clip is maybe only 8mbps, but its quality is perfect. When you work with good quality, you can expect the result to be good quality.

Nevermind anyway, the more I use PD the more it bothers me. It's awfully slow for everything. I often have to close and reopen it because it becomes buggy over time. The text effects can't handle more than just a few lines of text otherwise it freezes the computer for minutes. The configuration is extremly limited. And that quality problem... It's not far from being a good software, but it requires more love put into its coding.

Have a good day.
The problem doesn't come from SVRT....
The problem comes from recompression when you use effects on your movies.
Don't use SVRT for this test, it makes no sense.

On a side note, why the color difference while using SVRT ?
It's nice to try to help, but at this point I'm quite upset I spent so much money on a buggy product.

They have to fix the H264 compression algorithm.

30fps / 50fps, same problem.

I use 50fps now because SVRT works only with that speed.

PowerDirector is unable to align with the other FPSes I can produce. For exemple, when I set PD to 30fps, it wants 29.97fps. But my original file is 30fps, not 29.97.

The same occur for all speeds, 24 is not 24, 25 is not 25, 30 is not 30... but 50 *is* 50. That's the only configuration which works.

The H264 compression, in all configurations, is awful. Now that I use SVRT, the difference between "before" and "after" is just terrible. During most of my video, the quality is astounding (the original), and as soon as an effect kicks in, blocks appear everywhere (PD's compression).
I used a trick in my videos to be able to use that SVRT, it seems to help since it doesn't recompress everything.
As long as I don't use effects, the quality remains. But I'm forced to 50 fps instead of 25, which isn't very good for my videos.

It's not a long term solution though...
Three monitors, two DVI, one display port, and I also have a video projector on a fourth HDMI.
I updated Quicktime, and the MOV is still crappy quality. Not that it matters, I don't use MOV anyway. It was mostly a format test.

I did a 5 seconds shot. You can see it's a game capture.

- Game5s_original.mp4 is the result from my capture software. It's great quality and uses the NVidia encoder.
- Game5s_prod.mp4 is PowerDirector's produce file. If you pause during the movements, you'll see the quality is terrible. It can go from this exemple to much worst, sometimes the whole picture is just a patch of squares and it can take up to three seconds to recover.
- BadQualityEx.PNG is a capture of PowerDirector's produce file in one of my tests.

I tried with various FPS and configurations, they *all* create these artifacts. I think there's a bug in the H264 algorithm.
Hello Dafydd, thank you for your answer.

Your system is running 3xNvidia680 GPU's, right - wow.

No, actually you see three monitors, but I have only one GPU.

Where are the source files located on your drives (which drives)?

The sources are on the E: RAID-0 drive (splitting, made for speed)
The C: drive is for the software only. It's a SSD

The blockiness has been associated with hardware acceleration .

Okay, I tried disabling everything, and the problem is still there.
I tried various other formats :
- m2ts : same blockiness problem
- wmv : no problem but the produce file is even bigger
- mov : wow that didn't work at all! The result is blinking continously

I tried reducing the projet size to a simple 15s chunk, but no success : same blockiness.
It's curious because if I render the same chunk again and again, the blocks don't always appear at the same stage of the video. Sometimes I see blocks where there are no movements !

I'll try to provide a 5s unedited sample later.
1. Which operating system do you use, W8, W7, Vista, XP?

W7 SP1 64x

2. Which version of PDR, See Part A below

12.0.2726.0 Ultra version

3. Which SR number (available in the "About" box of PDR and is NOT the CD-Key!)

VDE140327-02

6. What anti-virus solution is installed on your PC?

Microsoft Security Essentials

7. What codec packs installed if any?

None. I use VLC.

8. What other video editing programs are installed - just in case there is a software conflict?

None

9. What burning software is installed on your PC?

ImgBurn, but I don't use it for videos

Hello,

Input : MPEG-4 file, 1920x1080, 8000kbps, 30fps. The file is about 1gb and the quality is absolutly *perfect*.

I use PowerDirector to work on this movie... add sounds, an overlay, nothing major really but it needs to recompress everything.

Output : MPEG-4 format, 1920x1080, 8000kbps, 29.97fps, progressive, high profile, CABAC, high quality with deblocking.

The produced file is awfully poor quality : When there are fast movements, *massive* blocks appear on the screen. And I often see a blur during slow movements. On top of that, the produced file is two times bigger than my original (about 2gb instead of 1)

I tried switching off the fast rendering, but no luck. I am starting to think that PowerDirector just doesn't know how to compress in MPEG-4 correctly. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem ? Can the 30fps to 29.97 convertion cause such massive quality loss ?
Go to: