Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A BIG THANK YOU to ALL of you who were so kind to reply to me!! I'm the only one here in my office and it's 7am on a COLD and SNOWY winter morning (8 deg F and about 7 inches of snow on the ground!) -- I know, it's crazy, but you can never impress the boss too much, right? I'm going to need some time to sort through everyone's replies but I will probably start with Windows Movie Maker just because of the time constraint I currently have. My office life here is a hectic one and I'm not able to "play" like I want to with anything new. Anything I do with the PD12 trial version will have to be on my own time (for now) since being in the office means I'm fair game to be imposed upon with emails, phone calls, and drop in visitors! So it's not quite the best "learning environment" --- maybe some of you can relate to this? I don't know when I'll be getting that 64 bit machine, but it should be within the next 6 months. Until then, I am going to try to work with my 32 bit and see how it goes. PS to 1Nina -- Funny you mentioned you're from Norway -- I'm a big fan of the TV show (Lilyhammer) and I was wondering how long that snow stays around? Do you really do all the things that appear on the show -- National Day (wearing the National Costume), Reindeer racing??
Thanks so much for the welcome, guys! I was offline yesterday, so apologies for my lateness in replying back to you.
HDedit -- Yes, I do realize that 64-bit is the ideal equipment for all things video. Unfortunately, I'm on a waiting list for that machine. They don't just give them out to anyone here. Pardon my ignorance, but if you do editing with a 64 bit machine, how does the end product look when it plays on a 32 bit machine? Or is that taken care of when you "publish"? Cause 32-bit PCs are what my audience will be viewing my work on.

BarryTheCrab -- Thanks sooo much for the compliment on my web name, for the "big Forum hellooo" and for the link to the DXdiag! I'm going to have a TON of snow dropped on me within the next few hours, so I'm going to have to postpone this task a bit.
Love your web name too. I guess crabbing is your hobby??

Aus_Sean -- I'm going to start with Windows Movie Maker and I already downloaded the free trial of PD 12. This past October, I went to a software developer conference in Vegas and I sat in on a class that was using Windows Premier Pro. Unfortunately, the download of the trial version was a disaster. There were issues with the laptop I was using. My IT guy eventually got the program to download, but I was unable to open the practice video files that the workshop instructor gave us. So I ended up looking over the shoulder of a woman who was using a 64 bit Macbook Pro. Glad I did this cause it gave me my first glimpse into what video editing software looks like.
I will soon be editing my very first video and I'll be using a Sony HandyCam DCR-SR68.

While I am excited to be doing this, I am also very nervous because at the end of the day, I need to be able to learn how to use a video editing software program quickly and produce a professional looking product for my company. The "product" is a 1:30 videoclip of our plant manager embedded within a PowerPoint presentation. The due date is this coming April (2014).

I've been doing much reading about video editing software and I have even checked out some YouTube videos.
The "technical jargon" that appears in video editing software user reviews is quite intimidating to me because I am NOT a software developer, instructional designer, video enthusiast, college IT major, or gamer. I'm also not under 18 years old with endless hours of free time on my hands.

I'm scared to death about making the wrong decision and wasting time/money on software that I won't be able to figure out or that is incompatible with what I'm trying to do, that is unreliable or that is unstable. I'm using very simple recording equipment and all I want is something that will work for this project.

PowerDirector 12 has received rave reviews, but I need further convincing and guidance. I just downloaded the trial version today and I'm beginning to play with it.

This Sony HandyCam of mine shoots MPEG 2-PS video and with Sony's PMB software, I am able to convert the resulting .mpg files to .wmv There's also some limited editing capabilities. I have not spent much time with PMB but it doesn't seem to be able to do very much. If it helps you to know, I'm using a 32-bit Dell PC and the operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1.

Thank you kindly for any helpful and useful assistance you can provide!!
Go to: