Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I am in charge of my high school basketball team's video recording. The coach asked me earlier in the season to shoot the scoreboard now and then so when they review the film with the team they can refer to the score at the time. However, in the heat of the battle so to speak, I often times don't do this as faithfully as I should. I can calculate the score from the times I do show the scoreboard by counting the buckets, but this isn't really something the coaching staff should have to do. So I thought, why not try to do what the TV games do and do a PIP or text with the running score. I wouldn't mind doing that manually if there was some way to leave up the score area the entire video and just change the score as the game progresses. But it would be mind-numbingly time consuming to have to create a new title every time the score changes. That would be something on the order of creating 100 to 200 different titles.

So, does anyone know of a plug-in or something of the sort to allow this to happen?
Tony
Just wanted to say thanks again. Noticed you're from down under. There is an Aussie connection for basketball players at the local college here in Denver, Metro State. They have had a steady stream of good Aussie players for probably a decade. Just more trivia for you.

I understand you guys are really baking down there. Stay cool! Wish we could export a bit of our 0°F weather to you to cool it off for you.

Best Wishes
Jim
Tony
I bought PD11 and it fixed the problem entirely, just as you had experienced. Bizarre as to why the earlier games were OK and these weren't. I tried attaching the MediaInfo files for your reference three times but it locked up every time, so I am pasting directly into the window here. Sorry. Thanks.

Jim

Old File
General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : F:\DIGITAL VIDEOS\DSST BB\Lutheran\00060.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 1.19 GiB
Duration : 10mn 19s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 16.5 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 15.6 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.251
Stream size : 1.12 GiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -67ms
Stream size : 18.9 MiB (2%)

New File
General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : F:\DIGITAL VIDEOS\DSST BB\Peak to Peak\A\00002.MTS
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 1.03 GiB
Duration : 8mn 57s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 16.5 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 8mn 56s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 15.5 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 16.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.250
Stream size : 994 MiB (94%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 129
Duration : 8mn 57s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -66ms
Stream size : 16.4 MiB (2%)
Tony
WOW what a thorough and thoughtful analysis. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I think the best thing in my mind is that you as a professional user experienced the same issues in the conversion process, so it wasn't just errors on my part. That was very reassuring. I will now plan on buying the PD11 upgrade shortly.

However, I still have some questions which even with your good answer I just can't resolve.
1. Why did the earlier games not exhibit these artifacts?
2. Why does it take a few minutes before these artifacts appear? (In all my tests, they didn't start until 3-5 minutes into the recording.)
3. Why doesn't this happen to everyone who uses an HD camcorder and PD10 to create DVDs?
4. Lastly, could this have anything to do with the camcorder settings? Over the Holidays, I know I was messing around with the camcorder settings to try to get to know the camcorder better after not using it much for several years, but I can't remember if I changed the frame rate or not. If it was previously in Cinema mode at 24 FPS, would that be a contributing factor now that I know it's at 60i?

Thanks again for your very thoughtful and very professional help!! Much appreciated.

Jim
I am confounded by a problem occuring in PD10 on my new Dell Precision T1650 Workstation (i7 3.4GHz CPU, 16GB RAM). I have copied the .mts 1920x1080, 60i clips from my Canon Vixia HF100 to my HDD and when viewed on my PC monitor the clips look beautiful. These are basketball games and the motion looks great. However, when I burn some of those games to DVD, they exhibit terrible motion artifacts begininning about 5 minutes into the first clip. The earlier games did not exhibit these artifacts but the last two did, making them unusable for our HS coaches. I realize the DVD result is 480i, but I am not talking about crispness differences, I am describing major artifacts that look like ghosting of any moving object.

I wondered if the fact that the clips are stored on an external 1.5TB HDD might have been a problem, with the USB data rate causing the problem. So I copied the .mts clips to my internal C: drive which is a SS drive. But the resulting .mpg file still exhibited the same motion artifacts after a few minutes. Yet when playing the same scene from the .mts files, using Media Player, they look perfect, so I know it's not the originals.

Since the coaches are counting on me to provide burned DVDs after every game, this is a real problem. Any help an expert could provide me would be very welcome. Thanks.

Addendum:
I trimmed a sample clip down to 20 seconds or so from one of the troublesome .mpg files and then trimmed a similar clip from the original .mts file and have them available for viewing, but am not sure how to go about uploading them for access, as this is my first post.
Go to: