Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Jasper1 and James,

I can't say that your problem is the same as my problem, but I can tell you I've successfully produced a half dozen videos since solving the heatsink-to-processor thermal resistance problem.

I installed my processor and heatsink on a new motherboard a couple of years ago. The other programs I use every day don't run the processor as hard as CyberLink does, thus my daily operations don't cause the processor to consume as much energy and therefore it doesn't produce as much heat. You can view your processor's load via the Windows Task Manager (holding down the ctl, alt and del keys at the same time opens Task Manger). Click on the performance tab and you can see what percentage of your processor is being used as you load programs, web pages, etc. During normal operations, mine bounces around between 10% and 60%. When I start production of a video in CyberLink Director 11, it jumps to 100% for the entire operation. That means maximum heat is being generated.

Heat is the enemy; all semiconductors will fail at a specified maximum temperature. If you do a Google search for "thermal shutdown of a processor", you'll see that others have this problem even when their processor isn't being pushed very hard. I don't blame CyberLink for the problem, it's just that it showed up a problem with my computer that I had all along and didn't know it.
jasper1 and James,

I've had the same problem. This has been a major frustration, but I have found a solution!

I've followed the software and driver update suggestions from tech support, and have improved memory settings and page file size, with only slight improvement to how far it would go into production before it would shut down. Here's what I discovered was the problem: The processor was getting so hot it went into thermal shutdown. (My processor runs at 100% during Production; nothing else I've run stresses it to that level)

You should check to see how hot your cpu is getting. About 10 seconds after it shut down I rebooted and forced the system to go into the motherboard BIOS setup mode (holding down the Delete key during the beginning of reboot does it for my motherboard). This is where you can make changes to a variety of motherboard settings. When I selected "PC Health" I found that the cpu temperature was 90 degrees C! It seems that the recommended upper temp for my processor (AMD Athlon 64x2, 2.7 Mhz) is around 70 degrees C. I opened the case, blew out a little dust in the cpu heatsink, removed the heatsink and fan, cleaned off the old thermal heat sink compound and applied some new compound and reinstalled the heatsink/fan on the cpu. Problem solved!

Now, with one cover left off the case, the cpu temperature at the end of successful Production of a 9 minute video is 42 degrees C. With all covers installed on the computer case, the cpu at the end of Production only reaches 69 degrees C. If you clean out dust and improve the flow of air to your computer case and still have the problem, you may need to install new thermal compound as I did. Or you may have a worn out cpu heatsink fan, or you may need to add another fan to your case.
Go to: