Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote I am having trouble with PD on my desktop pc. The preview is choppy when I move the timeline over a videoclip.

Specifications of my pc:

ADM Ryzen 7 8 cores
32gb internal memory
1TB SSD m2
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro motherboard
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 8gb videocard
I have installed the Nvidia Studio driver

When I use PD on my laptop, it runs much smoother!

Specifications of my laptop:

Intel Core i5
16gb internal memory
256gb SSD
Intel HD 520 graphics display adapter

I have set the preview quality to full hd and shadow file resolution to 1280 x 720 on my laptop. It runs so much smoother on my laptop then on my desktop PC !

Why is PD not running smooth on my desktop PC? I hope someone can give me the answer! Thanks!

By the way, I added the dxdiag file.

I just tried other software like Magix Video Deluxe, Quick from GoPro and Wondershare Filmora 12. When I import the exact videoclip that I used in PD into Magix Video Deluxe, Quick or Wondershare Filmora 12 and move the timeline over the videoclip the preview is really smooth. In PD it is choppy as hell even though I lowered all the settings

I also tried the free version of Da Vinci Resolve. Run's very smooth on my pc!

I would have liked a subscription to Powerdirector and Photodirector but this issue is going to be a dealbreaker for me.

I really hope someone can help me out with this!
I am having trouble with PD on my desktop pc. The preview is choppy when I move the timeline over a videoclip.

Specifications of my pc:

ADM Ryzen 7 8 cores
32gb internal memory
1TB SSD m2
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro motherboard
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3070 8gb videocard
I have installed the Nvidia Studio driver

When I use PD on my laptop, it runs much smoother!

Specifications of my laptop:

Intel Core i5
16gb internal memory
256gb SSD
Intel HD 520 graphics display adapter

I have set the preview quality to full hd and shadow file resolution to 1280 x 720 on my laptop. It runs so much smoother on my laptop then on my desktop PC !

Why is PD not running smooth on my desktop PC? I hope someone can give me the answer! Thanks!

By the way, I added the dxdiag file.

As I mentioned prior, my experience is no real distinct timeline scrubbing advantage. So, for timeline playback, the difference between a RX590 and Nvidia equivalent of GTX1060 will be small. I'd guess your observation might be more video complexity, check details or post the text file from MediaInfo app or MediaInfo online, https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline

Jeff

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Gigabyte Gaming OC GeForce RTX 2070 or better the RTX 3070. Can get them used for a fair price.

On my HP laptop with Intel Core I5 CPU the display adapter is an Intel HD 520. PD works very well on my laptop.

I hope PD will run much smoother with a RTX 2070 or RTX 3070 on my AMD Ryzen 7 8 Core desktop PC with 32gb internal memory.

Nico

Generally, switching to AMD not a real good choice for PD editing or for hardware encoding. Some PD features will only support Nvidia like Nvidia Video/Audio Noise Removal, Room Echo Removal in PD. Other features incorporated in PD support both GPU's and use the CUDA blocks vs just the video hardware encoding as was mentioned.

But typically, for encoding, AMD lags in quality. You see that shown here with PD directly https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/97532.page#392352 or here https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-nvidia-video-encoding-performance-quality-tested with generic ffmpeg encoding which also tested your specific interest GPU.

Timeline playback of just video content can be handled by the GPU, not just the CPU, but no distinct timeline scrubbing advantage there with PD between the two GPU's.

Jeff

I have a desktop PC with an AMD Ryzen 7 8 core CPU and 32gb internal memory with a Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 videocard. That is what I see under device manager from the control panel. When I move the timeline over a videoclip the preview is very choppy. I will have to lower the preview setting, but stil it is not perfect. PD works much better on my cheap HP laptop with a I5 CPU and 16GB of memory! Even on ultra high settings? Is this all related to my videocard? Better get a Nvidia videocard?
Go to: