Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
All I ever do in this forum is complain, so I thought for once I'd thank Cyberlink for getting out a quick patch to solve the problems in Windows 8.1. Much appreciated.
It did help. The discs that didn't play properly work fine with hardware decoding. Must be an issue with PDVD 13 software decoding.

I always used software decoding on Win 7, so something is broken in the software on 8.1.
I have a GTX 660. I'm not using hardware acceleration anyway, so I don't think it's a GPU issue. Maybe I'll try it that way and see if it helps.
I can play my discs just fine with Nero Blu-Ray Player, which was updated just before Win 8.1 was released.

I think I've bought my last Cyberlink product.
I can open BD discs and folders, but the movies don't play correctly. Seems to be playing about one frame per second.

Nero Blu-ray player won't work at all--the program just hangs. However, using AnyDVD and JRiver Media Center, I can play the main movie just fine. Win 8.1 updates the WDDM to version 1.3, which is supposed to be backward compatible to 1.2, but maybe not. JRiver filters are 1.3 aware.
Just wanted to report that Customer Service took good care of me, and I got a new link. Seems my email address was associated with multiple accounts somehow.
Quote: Hi,
when purchased the extended Download link you received a link, please use the link from this mail to download the PowerDVD install files.

http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=13519&prodId=24&prodVerId=-1

I did that, but the link takes me to the Media Espresso download instead.
I just had to uninstall PowerDVD to re-install it on another computer. I have my serial number, but I can't figure out how to enter it. Even though I bought extended download, it doesn't appear in my Cyberlink account. Help!
When I install or re-install PDVD13, it automatically grabs the associations for all media file types. Yes, I can go in afterwards and uncheck the file types, but I still have to re-associate the media files with the programs I want to use to open them.
I hate it that PowerDVD 13 automatically sets all my media file associations to itself. Please make that optional in the next patch so I don't have to re-do all my associations again!
I have the same problem, and it's not consistent. Sometimes a folder will load, and the next time it won't.

I guess all we can hope for is a fix in a patch (long overdue, IMO). Luckily I didn't uninstall PowerDVD 12, which always works.
Have you tried launching them via the PDVD 13 "My Computer" link? Cyberlink seems to want to force us to use this method to open folders, though as you say drag & drop works sometimes.
PDVD 13 can't load the discs from the new WB Ultimate Gangsters Blu-ray collection. It crashes as soon as I click on Play. The same disc works fine in PDVD 12.
Quote: Start button missing is a PITA.
Thinking of that though reminds me of all the new Windows hot keys and am wondering if there might be one in PowerDVD for "open". I haven't looked.

There isn't one listed in Help, but there might be an undocumented one. That would certainly help, but I suspect Cyberlink removed the code for the functionality.
True, it isn't there. The Start button isn't there in Win 8 either, and we all know what an improvement that is.
Quote: Left pane, My Computer and drill down.

Well, yeah, but it doesn't remember my position from the last time I accessed it like in PDVD 12.
I'm sure I must be missing something obvious, but how do you browse for files and folders in PDVD 13 (like you can in PDVD 12)? I don't use the Media Library, and the only way I've found is dragging and dropping onto the desktop icon.
That's good to know, but I haven't been saving my NFO files. I'll just keep using JRiver Media Center to manage my library, they know how to do it right.
I think this is a PDVD 12 setup option that didn't make it into PDVD 13.
The titles are correct, I assume because the files and folders are named correctly. I don't see a way to edit any of the info except the cover art. Am I missing something?
Go to: