Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote: I have also now received a response from Cyberlink....... I was given a link to a "VISTA" compliant version of PDVD 6.0 OEM which I installed, followed by the upgrade to PDVD 7.0, excellent all installed ok. My only issues are that DVD playback in WMP11 and/or WMC are un watchable due to blocky picture rendering....... oh well did not expect to be able to watch DVD's using the software........ whatever was I thinking about :

DVD's play absolutely fine in my environment although I'm using PDVD...not Windows Media Player...nor do I ever intend to.
Thought I would post a follow-up and give credit where credit is due. This problem has been resolved within almost 24 hours. That's a decent response time.

The first reply back to my initial ticket had asked me to post two separate screenshots of 1) the activation screen and 2) the error message that was popping up (the one telling me I do not have Administrative privileges).

Within an hour from that reply, I received detailed instructions with two separate download links. One for an OEM "Vista ready" version 6 of PowerDVD and another for Version 7 of PowerDVD Deluxe. They also provided a new key to submit when I attempted to activate.

Here's what I did armed with this new information.

1) Downloaded both versions as instructed.
2) Uninstalled the malfunctioning version of PowerDVD (version 7, Deluxe).
3) Installed the OEM version 6 package. (Did not launch or activate after install).
4) Installed the new version 7 I was linked to.
5) Launched the new version
6) Pasted new CD-Key
7) Clicked Activate

I now have a working copy of PowerDVD 7 Deluxe on my system.

For anyone else experiencing the same issue, I would advise opening a ticket with support as the download I purchased most likely is not the same as the solution (read: working copy) they linked me to.

Kudos to Cyberlink support. As for the "released" product itself...there are some bumps to iron out which arguably could have been avoided with more diligence.
I have wasted a Sunday afternoon trying to do one simple thing...install Power DVD Deluxe 7 to Windows Vista Business.

I am a licensed owner of PowerDVD 6 Deluxe which I purchased in May of 2005. Vista listed PowerDVD 6 as a version that was not compatible or had known issues with Vista...thus I forked out another $29.99 to get a version that works with Vista.

So, I go to install the downloaded copy of PowerDVD 7 Deluxe and as I feared, I was going to have to install the incompatible version of 6. Once I started version 6 to register, after submitting my registration info, I get this bogus error message that I'm not connected to the internet. Bogus because a) I have an always on connection and b) I disabled the Windows Firewall. After doing some snooping around via Google, I got the idea to disable the UAC process in Vista (User Account Control). After rebooting, then launching PowerDVD 6 again, I filled out the registration form and sure enough, the registration info successfully submitted. (note that I've already registered the product previously so I assumed this was merely a formality so that all the pieces would be in place for me to install the upgrade)

With that hurdle cleared, I went on to install the upgrade (version 7).
As expected, the previous version was detected and I was prompted to remove it. This seem to work as expected. After the install completed, I went to launch version 7. I'm immediately presented with the activation screen. Fair enough, I enter my activation key, the Activate button "enables" itself and so I click it.

An error message...I'm getting used to this now.

"You cannot upgrade PowerDVD 7 because you do not have Administrator privileges on this computer."

Well isn't that a load of crap. The account that I am logged in as is indeed a Local Admin and furthermore, I have disabled UAC anticipating that the install programs may be poorly coded to account for these new permission considerations.

So, I decide to humor the Cyberlink install by launching the the Cyberlink app by selecting "Launch as Adminstrator" from the right-click menu. No go.

So, I decide to login as the big kahuna, the Administrator account. Then I launch PowerDVD 7. I fill out the activation form...again. Again, I am told I don't have administrative privileges.

So, I uninstall and reinstall ensuring that I run both installs "as Administrator" by selecting "Run as Administrator" via the right-click menu option on the EXE from the file system.

Same crap, same error message.

I've performed all kinds of searches against the forum, the knowledge base and NOTHING comes up. Stuff like "cannot upgrade", "Administrator privileges", etc. No hits.

I have a ticket in with Cyberlink but thought I would retype my story all over again in the event that someone else has run into this.

Obviously, I'm about ready to punt Cyberlink and request a refund for the upgrade that I was essentially forced into purchasing. I'll sleep on it but all in all, this experience has been a futile, frustrating waste of time.

Perhaps with my background being in IT (10+ years of software testing), I'm thinking too hard about this situation and am overlooking something simple...so please...if there is a simple explanation and a workaround for what I'm experiencing, enlighten me.

However, I'm more inclined to believe this whole upgrading process and structure is ridiculous and I'm inclined to believe the installation was not vetted sufficiently against Vista's various flavors. If so, that's rather ridiculous since the testing platform has been available for almost a year. I'm in software development myself by trade and I understand what it takes to get software ready for new platforms. Good design anticipates bad decisions by users and thus should prevent users from going down rabbit holes. Even so, I really don't think I made any boneheaded decisions with regards to the prompts and literature that was presented during this install/research adventure. Have I dialed up a one in a million scenario and I'm unlucky? I ask, how uncommon is it for a person to be in my situation.

• [*]Owner of PowerDVD 6 in XP Pro
    [*]Upgrades OS to Vista Business (clean install)
    [*]Wants to install PowerDVD 6 but knows that is incompatible.
    [*]Purchases upgrade to "Vista compatible" version 7.
    [*]Installs incompatible version
    [*]Installs upgrade to make it compatible

• Is that really so far-fetched? Is this test case not present in Cyberlink's volume of test cases?

What am I missing here?
    Go to: