Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
That would be REALLY useful!
Btw, if nVidia is still having an issues with CUDA, what about AMD video cards?

I noticed, that in PD preferences there is not a word about CUDA (which is proprietary to nVidia), and only marketing words on Cyberlink website tell something about CUDA.
But PD has OpenCL in preferences.

So, I was thinking, maybe OpenCL (the only system implemented in AMD cards) would be better for PD then nVidia CUDA?
FredB,

Thanks for replying!

Quote: Although it seems counter-intuitive, the Senior users here have found that in MOST cases, turning OFF (unchecking) the hardware acceleration (HA) settings in "preferences" utilizes the GPU better....not sure why, but this has ALWAYS been the case for me.

Ok, I will try it again. But there is also a checkbox about hw acceleration right on PRODUCE page. It looks like this checkbox actually overrides the setting in Preferences. Should both of this switches be left OFF?

I remember I was reading somewhere (I think), that turning GPU HA Off actually improves the quality of encoded clip.
Good grief indeed
For once got a rare opportunity not just use whatever I have at the moment, and "survive" with it, but properly build a GOOD machine for a specific task - and nobody can even tell what is good and what is not in regards to some particular part Oh, well, I guess, I have to trust my own tests...
At least thanks to all who replied, I know that whatever I am getting is not too bad.
All advises above are very good, I guess, but I was looking for something more specific.

I mean, tips for configuration of OS to increase performance of file operation, or to add more RAM, or to optimize hdd, or to remove negative affects of antiviruses, remove unnecessary background services - this is all good for newbie in computers. BUT, it is just too generic, and NOT specific to PD and NLE in general. You can apply EXACTLY the same advices to configuration of some database machine, to some web-server, to fairly active application server, to even a software developers machines! I do know what I am talking about - after 25 years in software development, mostly enterprise level.

Now, what I was interested in is more FINE tuning, very specific to not only NLE in general, but particularly to PD10. And I thought that I did asked exactly this originally. Question I still have unanswered is - how much PD10 uses GPU acceleration?

As I said, I tried to test it, and PD does use GPU acceleration, no doubt about it. But when I upgraded video to the 5 times faster GPU - nothing changed in PD10's performance.

It seems that general perception here is that you need really good GPU with 1GB onboard RAM. No problem with this, but maybe my test was too simple or maybe I did something wrong, but I did not see any difference between slow 512MB card and much faster 1GB card.

I have no problem adding whatever is going to really improve performance, after all, what is additional $300 on top of $1000 already spent just to build a machine, optimized specifically to PD? : But I do not game, and if PD really does not use much of GPU, then what is the point?

No offense at all, just trying to figure out what is important and what is irrelevant...
FredB,

Thanks for your input! May I ask about one of your points?

You mentioned "PD on the %SystemDrive%". Any particular reason for that? In regards to performance there is no difference between system and non-system drives. Possibly, PD does not like to be ran from non-system drive because of some internal bugs/issues?

Everything else is straightforward. But it is good to have a definition of minimally acceptable system for PD. Thanks again!
Of course! Z68 chipset (Asus P68Z68-V Pro) to be able to use an internal i7's GPU with QuickSync.

Looking at results of my testing, I am starting to think, that I can try to get rid of discrete GPU at all, and just use integrated Intel HD 3000. What's the point if it does not improve anything anyway?!
Very nice summary!

Now, while we have an experienced people's attention here, could you please put down some notes about what kind of hardware components are preferable?

Basically, I've never done any video editing. Though, for many years I am doing a photo processing on fairly advanced level.
The whole last week I was testing different video editing software systems (MAGIX, Corel, Adobe, AVS, MoviePlus, Sony Vegas), and finally narrowed it down to PD10 64 Ultra as the fastest one with the best quality of the resulting clips.

Now, about computer parts. My system is fairly old and painfully slow - AMD Phenom II X4 940, 3GHz, 12GB RAM, nVidia 9600GSO, SSD+HDD, Win7 x64. I have on order a better parts, but for now using what I have.

1) Video Card. I have a fairly old card - nVidia 9600 GSO, and also got this morning more powerful nVidia GTX 550 Ti. Test clip, 2 min, too dark, put some video enhancements, color correction, white balance fix, denoise - system with BOTH cards (hw acceleration is On) was working about 22 minutes! With CL off - 39 min. So, GPU acceleration does help.
Can I say, that for PD10 it does not make any difference how advanced video card is as soon as there is some card present?

2) Hard Drive. I have two installed. One is regular WD Black 7200rpm, another one SSD, SATAII Vertex 2. I tried to have PD to work from HDD and later - from SSD. That did not make ANY difference whatsoever! That is actually expected result. Source file was 352MB, result - 184MB, total 536MB. Divide it by 22 minutes, 400KB/sec. Even slowest USB flash drive is faster : So, PD10 does not care about fast hdd as soon as there is enough RAM and OS does not swap too much (I have no swap file at all - disabled).

3) RAM. Seems to be no problem with 12GB. At any given moment system monitor shows about 5GB free physical memory.

4) CPU. Have nothing to compare my Phenom X4 940 with (Yet! Waiting for i7-2600K to arrive in mail any time). It looks like that CPU is the biggest bottleneck and major deciding factor for PD in regards to speed of work.

Basically, from what I can tell, PD need CPU, as fast as possible! Everything else is negligible.

If I made a huge mistakes in any of this statements, please, correct me!
Go to: