Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sounds familiar. A lot of users with ATI video cards, myself included, seem to be having HDCP issues with PowerDVD, namely getting the display to be recognised as being compliant (despite the card itself showing up green, and the monitor showing up green when connected to other video cards, i.e. Nvidia). At this point I'm not sure whether the fault lies with ATI or Cyberlink, but I'm leaning towards the latter.
Quote: i don't think the playback is at 1080p thru VGA since that is carried only by HDMI/DVI. you maybe watching in full screen mode but it is not 1080p.

I'm fairly sure it is 1080p. I can set my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 (or higher), which sends a progressive scan signal in that resolution to my CRT. Not ideal, but there's definitely no downscaling going on.
Quote:
The purpose of HDCP is to prevent copying of media content (movies) thru a high resolution digital output, HDMI or DVI. HDCP allows the VGA connection playback because it is a much lower resolution that will not support burning a hi def copy. This whole mess is about the movie industry protecting every penny they can!

Yes, but ironically I can get my HD DVDs to play back at full 1920x1080 resolution via VGA!
Well, I got my 360 add-on today, and predictably enough it wouldn't allow me to play anything over DVI, telling me that my display is not HDCP compliant when it most certainly is. Ironically enough, if I connect it via VGA it plays - which is pretty funny given that I thought the whole point of HDCP was to lock out "unsafe" analogue connections and allow those with digital connections to view the encrypted material. At this stage I don't know whether to blame Cyberlink or my video card manufacturer: all of my devices are supposed to be HDCP-compliant, but PowerDVD and the Adviser program both claim that the monitor isn't. Either way I'm extremely frustrated. Add to that the fact that Cyberlink have disabled screen capture for HD content (what do they think we're going to do, pirate movies by pressing PrintScreening every single frame? ), and I've just frittered away a considerable amount of money - monitor, video card, HD DVD add-on, PowerDVD - for no good reason.

Oh yeah, and at least two of my discs won't play.
Quote: it seems to me it is more a problem with the PowerDVD software and the way it is "reading" HDCP compliance. I am using a Geforce 7600 GT card and the monitor still comes up as not HDCP compliant. PowerDVD does not initialize because it "sees" the monitor as not compliant. anyway, cyberlink needs to refund the money for powerdvd ultra to those that can not get it to work properly. hopefully, they will have a fix soon. So, have you gotten HdDVD's to play on your system?

I don't actually have an HD DVD drive yet - I'm waiting for my Xbox 360 add-on to be delivered and will be using it - but the fact that the advisor is reporting my display as non-HDCP it sounds as if I'm going to be out of luck. What makes it doubly annoying is that I've also paid for an Xbox 360 add-on that I won't be able to return (I sourced it on eBay).

This whole HDCP situation really is completely ridiculous. Once again it's the honest customers who pay for their movies and software that are getting screwed.
I'm having the same problem with my Sony MFM-HT205 display. The Cyberlink advisor lists both my graphics card (Radeon X1950 Pro) and driver (8.321.0.0) as being fine, but tells me my display connection type is not HDCP. This is wrong: I know for a fact that the display is HDCP-compliant. In fact, on my previous video card, an Nvidia GeForce 7600GT, all three were checked green, including the same display that, with the Radeon, is now red. This suggests to me that there is some problem with ATI's drivers, since while they themselves seem to be HDCP compliant they don't appear to be sending an HDCP signal to the monitor (or something like that).
Go to: