Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
a year ago i bought into all the 3d hype, buying a optoma dw318 and some optoma 3d glasses and an ati 5850 gfx card
the 5850 was marketed as atis new card with 3d support. these were complete lies on atis behalf they kept promising the
drivers through iz3d but none of us in various 3d forums could get it to work.
so 2 months later i bouhgt an nvidia 260 and the 3d vision kit and amazingly it worked in my 3d games

i have always preferred ati cards for being better value than nvidia but when it comes to drivers forget ati.
at least nvidia give some support through their forums and generaly their drivers work

a word of advice if you do go for the nvidia route their glasses are crap giving flashes throughout the 3d experience
but using the optoma glasses and the nvidia usb reciever dongle thing is much better , even though the optoma glasses are made of brittle plastic and broke in the first week.
i have just sold the 5850 and have lost £100 in a year all because i believed ati
im going to upgrade to a nvidia 560ti as the 260 only just works on demanding games in 3d.

the good news is the nvidia setup also works with powerdvd 11 in 3d as i just got tron working!

a word of warning for anyone going down this 3d route is you will spend all your time faffing with settings, more than
you will spend actually watching or playing in 3d, trying to get better pop out or depth.
let alone the it tech skills required, ie on my projector i had to pull out pins from the dvi plug to fool my pc into believing
it was connected to an acer projector so then i could install acer drivers which are nvidia 3d ready compliant
where as the optoma drivers aren't.

Lastly i would recommend a projector over a lcd led or plasma screen as you only really get depth with a screen no pop out,
and off putting ghosting.
maybe worth waiting for affordable 1.4 hdmi 1080p 3d projectors to hit the market, my optoma dw318 is 720p but was only £400 a yr ago but because of only 1.3 hdmi is not compatale with my ps3 for 3d, unless i buy an optoma add on 1.4 converter box for £250.

apologies for this long thread but 3d has been quite a learning experience
Go to: