Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The sudden cpu increase could be windows houskeeping (dumping buffers and swap files at same time) try defragging disc, turn off delayed write to the disk and turn off pagefile. I have same camera and use PD9, it captures fine. But i am on a desktop with SATA III (6 mb/s, 64MB cache) drives. If you have an external USB drive (turn off indexing service), try downloading DV to that.

I have always felt that what you mentioned was the culprit so I tried turning off pagefile as suggested. It worked! Thank you Rocket-Scientist and others who contributed to helping solve my dilemma. It was with trepidation that I did so because when I Googled how to do it almost everyone said don't do it. A few gamers, however, said that they did so with great results and they have never turned it back on.

For those, like me who had no idea how to turn off pagefile I have enclosed some directions as to how to do it in Vista. It is probably similar in other versions of Windows.

Start Button -> Control Panel -> System-applet -> Advanced System Setting-task -> Advanced-tab -> Performance Settings...-button -> Advanced-tab -> Virtual Memory Change...-button (phew).
Untick "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"
Select "No paging file" for all drives. Click Set button.

While doing this I noticed that under Performance settings you could also select Visual Effects tab and I selected the button "Adjust for best performance" which I did also. The windows don't look as good nor does the typeface but I didn't care. I might trying selecting whatever the default was and seeing if my video capturing still works.
I had defragged the disk, The disk rpms are 7200. I had turned off internet and spyware detection. I will try the other suggestions once I figure out how to do them. Thanks

Sorry about the bold print.
Its a Canon Optura 200MC. The PD9 software controls and captures the audio and video just not well at times. I feel that the problem is the processes that are run in Windows. Nothing significant is going on except running PD9 and trying to capture the video I took with the Canon.

It will work just fine then I'll notice my CPU usage going way up for no apparent reason. Then the video portion slows or stops and there is considerable static on the audio. It may last 20 to 120 seconds then CPU usage drops and all is fine until the next episode occurs.

Having done a lot of reading on this it is a universal problem that really isn't due entirely to PD9, I believe, but on the other hand makes it unusable for those who have to get video via their camcorder. It is partially the PD9's fault since its CPU usage jumps up and down without doing anything extra except capturing.

I was hoping that someone else who experienced this problem would have some suggestions on what to do. Eliminating as many processes as possible might be the solution but I don't want to eliminate the crucial ones. For example, I think svchost.exe and System Idle Process are crucial.
I have tried to read all the forums regarding capturing videos, and all the FAQs and Support videos. I have Googled extensively on this subject. Power Director seems pretty great except for one thing. I can't capture videos properly. Without that all the bells and whistles are meaningless. I have been waiting for a response for 3 days from CyberLink on this. It would seem that my problem is fairly universal and CyberLink doesn't seem to address it anywhere so here is my problem.

First some background. I have an HP Pavilion DV7 notebook computer with an AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core 2GHz processor with 4GB memory and a 64 bit operating system. I am trying to capture video from a Canon DV camcorder using firewire.

I try use Power Director 9 software to capture my video onto the hard drive and throughout the process the video will stop at times or the sound has considerable static or both. I can monitor my CPU usage and when it goes above 90% I start having these problems. I have tried to eliminate all the processes I think might be a problem but it doesn't seem to help. I don't run any software at the time except PD9. I tried doing this while not on the internet hoping that every little bit helps. The biggest CPU user, except for system processes, is PD. CPU usage is never constant but jumps up and down and I try to watch CPU usage using Task Manager to see what I can eliminate. I also use msconfig.exe to eliminate startup processes I don't think I will need but I don't want to go too far. I avoid any items that have SYSTEM as a user name. Are there any suggestions out there as to what I should do? Is my computer powerful enough? All my research in this seems to point out that this is a very common problem but hardly anyone has any definitive answers. There are suggestions about what to remove but I've never read one that was all inclusive and no one seems to say "Thanks, that solved the problem" Given all the comments I've read on this subject I would think CyberLink would address this.

Go to: