Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Had the same problem - Windows 7 64bit - had installed PDVD 8 w/updates and also a trial version of Arcsoft. Install of Pdvd 10 went fine, even activated. But it wouldn't start. Here is what tech support said:

What I said: Powerdvd 8 works great - bought Powerdvd 10 upgrade, seemed to install fine. After activation, which is successful, Powerdvd does not start. There is a Powerdvd process in task manager - but I can't do anything with the product. Please help! (I really liked Powerdvd 8, but want to try 10) D/L the trial, same problem.

What they said:
I understand your concern related with launching of PowerDVD 8 software.

In regard to your issue I suggest you follow the below steps to resolve your issue:

Note: Make sure that you log in as an Administrator.

1. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

Now try to launch the software.

If issue persists, please reinstall software using the steps given below :

1. Increase Virtual memory :

a. Right click on "MyComputer"
b. Select Properties -> Advance
c. Click on "settings" under Performance.
d. Select "Advance"
e. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
f. Select "Custom" and enter initial value as "512" and Max value as "1024".

If issue persists then please let us know which version of the Windows operating system do you have is it 32-bit version or 64-bit version.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Aryan
CyberLink Technical Support

Not sure they knew what my problem really was - maybe I wasn't being clear but I ended of rebuilding the computer and sure enough it worked - waited 2 days for this response - rebulid took about 30 minutes and like 4 hours of moving data around. Not the easiest of workarounds, but I can now play MKV files with PDVD 10.
Go to: