Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot get past Media Source Error message - looking for suggestions
BRIAN [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2010 22:17 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have PowerDirector 8 on a new computer purchased at Christmas just for Video Editing. I have completed approximately 15 projects but until recently had not incorporated any sound. I tried loading a M4A file and ran into the Media Source Error message, which has led me to learn a whole lot more about Cyberlink support and these forums!

Ever since attempting to add the M4A file to one of the PDS projects, I have not been able to successfully play an existing or new PDS project. Here's what I have done thus far:

What happened:
1. Attempted to add a M4A file to a movie
2. Received media source error - CyberLink PowerDirector could not construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit.
3. Read the forums that indicated MP3 was supported and there were problems with M4A
4. Converted the audio file to MP3
5. Loaded the MP3 into the music track for the desired PDS
6. Same error message for the PDS with music and with PDS files without any music loaded.
7. Uninstalled PowerDirector per instructions in forum, including removing registry keys and remaining files in Program Files folder.
8. Reinstalled PowerDirect v8 without patch
9. Tried to play a PDS file. Received same error message
10. Applied patch 2508
11. Tried to play a PDS file; received the same error message. In addition to the error message, none of the video clips in the workspace or timeline have images - just black squares. The file references are still valid (no 0,0,0).

All video clips are .MOD files from a Canon FS11 camcorder with an audio track.
I have since uninstalled and resintalled a couple more times, including running CClean hoping that would change something.

Unfortunately I don't have a checkpoint. Do you have any suggestions before I reload the OS from scratch?
 Filename
BrianCurranDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
263 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm trying to replicate your problem.

I have some .mp4 audio files and I have JVC produced .mod file... not exactly the same.

Please could you add your camera details to the links below.
Have you seen this, please add your spec?
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page
Please add your camera spec here:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page
Thanks

Please carry out a simple test.
Place the sample PD video into the Video track, add your m4a audio and then select to Produce. What's the results?

The m4a audio - what's the source file from? Is it a security encrypted audio file?

2220c did have an issue with specific audio files including m4a and mp4 (audio). It threw up the bug error you've seen and reported here.

In my system the 2508 does NOT have the media source error (mp4 tested).

Two options - please follow the second one
1. So, I think you will need provide me with the m4a file please and IF I replicate the issue, I'll pass the results and files onto CyberLink.

2. Alternatively, you can PM me your PD purchase Order number, your full name and email address and I'll arrange for you to have the full build of PD8 v2508 to test and check. I think this should be our first course of action.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

General guides:
You can not pinpoint the issue BUT you can give more detail of content and provide a visual image as well as a diagnostic of your set up. Please note that 3 (x100kb) images/files can be attached to your reply.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2010 06:23

BRIAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your assistance! One clarification... I am receiving this error message whenever attempting to play a MOD file in any PDS, even when there is no music added. It wouldn't be a problem if it was just m4a audio because I could avoid using that. To answer your questions specifically:

I added my camera spec to the forum (Canon FS11).

I tested Produce functionality with one of the PSD files without any music defined. When I clicked Start, the process started but then PD generated the same error message (could not construct the media source as a graph... lack of decoding filters). It seems that somehow PD has lost the ability to handle the MOD files.

The m4a audio was from iTunes. Technically it was "I've got a feeling" from the Black-eyed Peas. I don't believe it was encrypted.

At this point I can completely avoid the m4a file; I am hoping to get PD back to a state where it will play the MOD files with no music added and then I can move forward from there.

I will send you a PM with the info requested. Thanks again for your assistance.

Brian
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Brian,
Install FFDShow codec pack onto your computer - it's free. Now redo your test of the MOD file.
Dafydd
[Moderator]
BRIAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
I installed ffdshow_rev3207_20100118. No luck. The mod file is supposed to be an MPEG-2 file, so I made sure ffdshow was configured to decode all MPG2 variants, but I didn't see any different behaviour in PD8.

What's odd is that PD8 on this computer has worked just fine with MOD files for the past month. The ma4 bug led to an uninstall/reinstall sequence that left PD8 in a state where it no longer handles the MOD files.

I found a sample MOD file on the net from a user with a Canon FS100 camera. After loading it in PD8 in the timeline, I click play and receive the same message: "PowerDirector could not construct the media source as a graph. This may be due to a lack of decoding filters for the file you are trying to edit."

Hmmm....
BRIAN [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interestingly, I can play the MOD files as expected on this computer using the Media Player Classic application. I'm not sure, but this makes me believe the problem isn't with the computer, sound device, or operating system codecs... and is instead within PD8. Like I said, I'm not sure.
DOM670 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2010 09:22 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
Brian are you still having this problem? I am new to the whole forums thing but I troubleshot the "Media Source Error Front-end graph streaming error" For Days and finally figured it out...In ur case i think its your music file...Let me know if you still need help... it will be a lot to type...If you are still having problems are you using the trial version or the purchased version...I will let you know that on one older computer i would have the error and that's what i had to fix and on my other newer computer I would not get the error...Let me know where your at with this
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I spoke to Brian over Skype - last night.

He doesn't have a problem anymore.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
DOM670 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2010 09:22 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
So what did you guys figure out?