Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
System requirements for PD8 in 1080p
tpgh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2010 12:24 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Looking at everyone's system setup, i see that most people either have dual core (~2.66ghz) or quad core setups.

Do you think that System speed or the number of cores will have a greater effect on editing 1080p videos on PD8?

I'm thinking of buying an intel quad core either (Q8200 or Q9550) the difference is about $40 but i'm on a budget. if i can get by with the 8200 then i'm going to stick with that.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to edit full HD 1080p video you want the most powerful system you can afford. You may get away with a less powerful system if all you want to do to your video is just join clips and produce. As you get more adventurous in your editing you will be grateful for the extra grunt.

Having said that your graphics card will also be an important part in producing your videos as PD has the option of using the power of your graphics card to speed up rendering/producing.

Now to completely confuse you I have made the decision to shoot and edit my videos in 1280X720 as the difference between 720 and 1080 is not enough to warrant the extra hassles and disc space. Maybe when I upgrade to Win7 64 bit I may go back to 1080 but not on my 32 bit system. Your requirements may vary.

Welcome to the exciting and frustrating world of video editing.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
tpgh [Avatar]
[Post New]
lol you gave me a good laugh just now. well i have a radeon HD4650 graphics card so actually compiling the video together will be ok. i don't really care b/c i usually let it compile overnight.

my only issue is the fact that when i play the video in the preview panel, it lags on me. do you think that with the quad core it will stop lagging?

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
The lagging you have in the preview screen would be more down to your graphics card than your cpu. There is an option to have either low, normal or high quality with the preview screen. Maybe check to see what you have selected. The setting is under the snapshot icon at the bottom of the preview screen.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2010 19:06

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
tpgh [Avatar]
[Post New]
that's the sad thing....even on low preview quality, it's still lags....when playing 1080p (60fps) videos, it can't even play low resolution. but with 1080i(30fps) on low resolution it can play ok....it's quite strange really. but it makes sense that it would be the video card. it's not all that great on the laptop really...
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Your only other option would be to make your preview window smaller until it plays smoothly, although with 1080 at 60 frames/sec you are asking an awful lot from a low powered computer.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2010 00:49

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
tpgh [Avatar]
[Post New]
it's ok i'm building a new desktop tomorrow at the cost of around $300 USD. it's going to be a quad core 2.33ghz with a radeon hd 4560 512mb gpu and 4gb ram. hopefully that'll be enough to do the job! =)

i hope that'll be enough. if not i can always swap out the processor...
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I would install ffdshow on your computer. I have a dual core laptop at 2 GHz and that solved my problem. I can play back my video on high settings of my Canon 1080i video with no problems. I realize that 1080p is even more hardware intensive, but I would give it a shot anyways. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
tpgh [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for all the help! i tried to download ffdshow on the lappie and it still lags in the preview panel for PD8. my guess is that it really is the graphics card that's limiting my ability to watch the playback well.

oddly enough, if i play the video in windows media player, it plays just fine...truly strange.

but good news is that i'm almost done assembling my new desktop guts. i'll go ahead and upgrade my old windows xp to windows 7 64 bit and see how that goes.

I'll let you guys know!