Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How long does it take to create Shadow Files?
tpgh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2010 12:24 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there! i just newly bought PD8 and i'm very excited to try it out! I also have my new 1080p sanyo camcorder that i record video with.

I tried doing a quick search about the shadow file feature but i'm still a bit confused. I am trying to edit a full HD video (1920x1080 @60fps) but playing it in the play editor is extremely laggy. I heard that shadow files make the editing process and previewing process a lot faster.

So what i did was place my video in the timeline and wait for the shadow file to create so that i can start editing. but i'm still waiting....

exactly how long does it take to create this shadow file? i have clips that are anywhere between 800mb to 4gb in size.

I've attached the dxdiagnostic file so that you guys can see if my system is powerful enough to edit full HD movies (i'm using a laptop by the way).

My guess is that my laptop isn't up to par for it...but i hope that i can still edit video on it.

Thank you so much for your help guys!
 Filename
tpghDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
362 time(s)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tuan,

Your laptop is just not fast enough to edit full HD 1920x1080 60fps video, so Shadow Edit file creation should be turned off, see the following link for instructions,

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9621.page

My laptop is a bit faster than yours but cannot handle 60fps video, it tends to jump and freeze, you could try recording at 30fps but I think you will still encounter the same problems. I also have a Sanyo (HD1010) and like many other editors, now record at 1280x720 30fps, which gives excellent results.

Please add your camera specs here,

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8727.page

and your computer specs here,

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8445.page

My experience with creation of shadow edit files has shown that with very large files say 1.5 GB, this can take 4 hours or more and because my computer is not powerful enough, it is not necessary anyway.

Robert

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
tpgh [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2010 12:24 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
thank you so much for your help robert! you are correct that 1080i works quite well. i sometimes even use 720 just so that i can record about 5 hours on my 32gb SD card.

my clips are usually under 10 minutes and only for youtube purposes so it usually takes about 2 hours to compile the whole thing.