Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Stuttering/Shakey video when using stabiliser
Aeropars [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2010 15:33 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing some issue when using the stabiliser which produces stuttering and shakey output. Other clips not using this are fine. The preview looks fine but the produced video is not.

I'm encoding avchd from AVchd clips form a panasonic SD9.

Anyone have any thoughs?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2010 07:20

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Upon investigation, i may be having 2 problems.

Stabilisation - When enabled i get blurry/ghosted video. I have a beach scene which pans left to right and you get the ghosting or blurr (where you can see the flickering between frames)

Video enhance - If this is ticked I get stuttering and unpredictable behaviour when doing a mass edit. I have used this on small clips with sucess but not sure why it fails during a mass production.

Any ideas? I'm using the demo version at the moment while I figure out if its worht the investment.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Lee,
Ask not what, ask why?

Is the video clip you're applying the stabilization feature and Video enhance feature a long one? If it is then consider localising the application of the corrective action.

Why... because if you have poor footage which a program has to stabilize then at some point it is going to need to "jump" because the correction's average image position is going to change. I hope that makes sense to you.

Of course the solution really is... use a tripod

As for your continued assessment. Well, I'd have thought you've noticed the back up you're getting and the number of us who are happy.

Dafydd
[Moderator]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2010 09:12

Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply.

The clips which is having stabilisation used on is not a long one at all. Perhaps a 40 second clip of which I have clipped to 20 seconds. #

I 'think' I know what your saying regarding the stabilisation which i suppose makes sence. Am I right then in assuming that the stabilistaion will only produce good results on footage which doesnt have any or veryy little panning involved? Unfortunatly a tripod is not always feasable. I hope this can just take the edge of some of the more wobbly clips.

Thats one of the problems covered but I'm at a loss tot he sturrering and choppyness of the clip where only video enhance is used.

As for the assessment, I've already splashed otu on VideoStudio and have had problems (and very little support) so this time i'm going to make fully sure that the product which i give my cash to really can deliver on what i want and expect it to do. Agreed that this forum does seem to have a lot more going for it compared to the Corel forums however if its a software problem, only CyberLink can be the saving grace.

Lee
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
Ok, I see where and what you're getting at.

I still think the 40 to 20 seconds scene as a single correction is asking a lot AND is not likely to succeed easily with a pan. you may also hit problems with interlace footage and straight vertical buildings or shapes.

My interpretation: Stabalization is a correction of a before and after video image with an average in the middle. Creating a viewable scene. You can clearly note that stabalization zooms into the video and holds a particular area in the frame. When you pan you're using a different display - it's changing across a scene. The church steeple that started on the left moves to the right. For this type of scene... well I think you're unlikely to succeed.

Now for a workaround I have employed in the past which you might like to know about.

I take still images of a a scene that I pan through - stills taken in the field. I then use a "stitch" program and join them all together. I then bring the stitch program into PD and use the editing tools to pan through the multiple-stitch image to create a pan video. Hope all this makes sense.

Now perhaps you'd like to take some stills from your video - max res as possible and use a stitch image program. It might offer you a workaround to your jerky footage which the editor cant stabilize because of the image variances that displays.

otu = what's that mean?

Dafydd
[Moderator]
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
I'm not sure if your stuttering is in preview or whether it carries over to a produced video?

In both cases your system spec will have a bearing on things although not in the same way. I don't know your spec so I'm making a general point.

The more "powerful" effects will have a dramatic impact on rendering and previewing since they require that all the video is enhanced/lightened/denoised or whatever. The amount of "pixel processing" is significant and maybe depends on the original footage and the process used by CL within PD.

Compared to "just" blending a fade transition of 2 secs - intense enhancing of a multi minute clip is a whole lot of processing. Simplistically @1080 it's 2,073,600 pixels and @720 its 921,600 and @NTSC 720x480 its 345,600.

So applying an intense effect to a 1080 clip is asking a lot if all pixels have to be "processed".

Never mind the other complications of compression codecs and high bitrates

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 18. 2010 10:46

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I apreciate it would be putting my system under load (which is a 3ghz quad core Intel, 4gb memory and a Nvidia geforce 8800GT) however I dont understand why that would make a difference (BTW the preview shows the enhancement with no problem although i know its a smaller res)

My understanding of the algorithm of video processing is that train on a system should not cause errors but it would increase the render time. After all, we're not asking it to perform the functions in real time so it should take all the time it needs to complete the task. Thats an assumption based on general PC applications (I work in IT so know my fair share of 'stuff') and Im referring this comment mainly to the enhancement option, not the stabilisation.

I didnt have time to check but i'll have to see the results of some other clips i set enhancement onto but i get the feeling that some of the clips were OK, others were not.

Hope all that makes sense.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
One other observation now is that the clip on its own renders perfectly with the same settings. I've made some changes to my antivirus software to see if this helps as it could have cause the problem.
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
I guess this means that you could prerender all your shaky video prior to starting your main project. Just make sure you produce these files in the same format you will produce your final project. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT