Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Removing Shadows in people pics
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I took pics of people standing in front of banner that had a lot of white in it in darker room and there was the circular light on a stand providing good lighting in that area but all pics show shadows. There were people taking phone pics who got those shadows as well

What is the best way to remove or reduce those shadows using photo director ?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I think there are way too many variables to suggest a specific course of action. It would be much better if you could attach one of the actual photos, but only if you're comfortable sharing it here. You could block out any faces or words first if that might help
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
here is a downsized sample where you can see the shadows

people were taking phone pics and they all got shadows too
[Thumb - sample shadow.jpg]
 Filename
sample shadow.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1198 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
10 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sure if PIX were still here he'd have some quick and helpful advice, but what I can suggest is to use the Guided | Background Removal tool and get rid of the entire background like this:

You'll need to take the tool out of Intelligent mode and zoom in to maybe 300% to deal with difficult areas, like the white jacket near the shoulder of the person on the right and the dark area around the right hand of the person on the left, but it only took me a couple minutes to do the above work.

The best possible solution would be if you happened to have a full pic of the empty background as you could then simply add that in as a background layer and be done. I've attached the pic as well so you can work with it directly.

There are plenty of tutorials here on the forum and on YouTube if you need help on the finer details of the background removal tool or working with layers. I hope what I've posted here will get you started down the right path!
[Thumb - sample shadow.png]
 Filename
sample shadow.png
[Disk]
 Description
full size sample
 Filesize
3964 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks for the info. Yes removing the whole background can be good but time consuming if you have over 50 pics; that is the problem
I agree that if it is only a few, it could be worth doing

If I used flash, there would have been zero shadows but my equipment fell and the flash and a lens broker earlier that night
I had taken some flash pics much earlier that turned out nice and no shadows in the same spot with the same circular light there. It seems like there is no way around the shadows in this scenario without using a flash to take the pics

Quote I'm sure if PIX were still here he'd have some quick and helpful advice, but what I can suggest is to use the Guided | Background Removal tool and get rid of the entire background like this:

You'll need to take the tool out of Intelligent mode and zoom in to maybe 300% to deal with difficult areas, like the white jacket near the shoulder of the person on the right and the dark area around the right hand of the person on the left, but it only took me a couple minutes to do the above work.

The best possible solution would be if you happened to have a full pic of the empty background as you could then simply add that in as a background layer and be done. I've attached the pic as well so you can work with it directly.

There are plenty of tutorials here on the forum and on YouTube if you need help on the finer details of the background removal tool or working with layers. I hope what I've posted here will get you started down the right path!
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
also, if I do remove the backgrounds on 50 images for example, can I change to the new background as batch and do all at the same time and export ?
optodata
[Post New]
It's not exactly a batch process, but you simply define a single background photo and then add each of you desired pics on top and save each one.

You can definitely export all the photos at once as shown in this other online help page. It's probably a little quicker if you have all the photos in a single folder.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2022 16:05