Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Importing photos by capture date
[Post New]
Hi

Just got PhD14. In previous versions I have imported photos by capture date. This appeared to work on the first photos I imported to this version however that seemed to change today and I can't work out why. I have deleted the previous version I had today so don't know if that would have affected anything.

When I started importing today the photos imported with todays date. I've followed the instructions in the help section to select capture by date but to no avail. I'm also having the same problem with renaming the files to include the date. It also ignores the capture date in favour of todays date. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
papa d1

Just a little update in case it helps any one. Don't know if it's significant but the photos I'm importing are still showing the same date as above (ie 22092022). This is the date I purchased and installed PhD14. I have set imports to 'make extra copy' and organize 'by capture date'.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2022 16:30

[Post New]
Hello Paul,

That's an odd problem & one I cannot replicate here.

When I import by capture date:

• The photos are organised in folders acccording to capture date & the date format I set

• Capture dates are consistent with those shown in metadata tab, properties & EXIF tool data (date modified)

• Extra copy folders display the correct capture dates

Could you please check the photo properties in Windows (right click > Properties) & in the Metadata tab in PhD.

Screen capture showing capture by date in PhD365

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Hello Paul,

Some other thoughts on your question about capture dates...

1. Are they original photos from the camera or have they been edited previously. In PhD, the default setting is to retain EXIF metadata but that can be changed in the Export settings.

2. I'm aware that some online photo storage facilities (like Google Photos) have been known to "not recognise" the date created/taken and insert "today's date" instead. I don't know if this may have been a factor in your case.

3. PhD, as you'd be aware, does recognise the date created & is displayed as Capture Date in the Metadata tab. That's what leads me to suspect something may have happened outside PhD.

4!!! surprised Paul, I've just discovered something disturbing. Still investigating so no conclusion yet.

Photos I'd exported from PhD which (a) previously imported showing the correct capture date) & (b) show the correct capture dates in Windows Properties, now get imported into PhD showing the WRONG capture date. When imported using "by Capture Date" th're filed under today's date. Importantly, I did not check the option to remove EXIF metadata om export.

There's something strange going on. I'll gather more evidence & report this to CL, even though it may not relate to your problem.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Good morning Pix.

I'm intrigued!

In answer to your first points if I may.

1.They have been loaded from the camera. If I import them to PhD and then hover over them in the file I've chosen to import them to the correct capture date is shown/appears.

2.I don't use online storage although some of my pics have appeared in Google Images.

3.I have the boxes ticked as in your pic.

4.Interesting.

A couple of additional comments.

I've started importing from the next folder and the capture date this time is 5 Sept 2022. PhD has imported it as 6 Sept 2022. Again if I hover over the picture in the import folder the capture date is the 5th.

Lastly (for now lol) I wanted to attach some screenshots to see if that would help but it says something about a URL. I probably don't need to say this but I haven't got a clue what that means or how to do it.

Best wishes
Paul

Quote Hello Paul,

1. Are they original photos from the camera or have they been edited previously. In PhD, the default setting is to retain EXIF metadata but that can be changed in the Export settings.

2. I'm aware that some online photo storage facilities (like Google Photos) have been known to "not recognise" the date created/taken and insert "today's date" instead. I don't know if this may have been a factor in your case.

3. PhD, as you'd be aware, does recognise the date created & is displayed as Capture Date in the Metadata tab. That's what leads me to suspect something may have happened outside PhD.

4!!! surprised Paul, I've just discovered something disturbing. Still investigating so no conclusion yet.

Photos I'd exported from PhD which (a) previously imported showing the correct capture date) & (b) show the correct capture dates in Windows Properties, now get imported into PhD showing the WRONG capture date. When imported using "by Capture Date" th're filed under today's date. Importantly, I did not check the option to remove EXIF metadata om export.

There's something strange going on. I'll gather more evidence & report this to CL, even though it may not relate to your problem.

PIX
[Post New]
Hi Pix

As an afterthought I've imported some pics from a more recent folder. It has saved by capture date!

Me confused baffled feeling older by the minute.

Best wishes
Paul

Quote Hello Paul,

PIX
[Post New]
Hello Paul,

There's no need to feel "older by the minute". It's reasonable to be confused or baffled, but I don't believe it's anything you're doing wrongly.

I've filed a report with CyberLink explaining the results of some testing I've done here. It's up to the CL development team, now, to investigate further & resolve the issue.

As an afterthought I've imported some pics from a more recent folder. It has saved by capture date!

That statement perfectly reflects what I've found here.

Essentially, if photos have been previously resized on export (as I know you do), capture dates are somehow reset. That's why they're being imported showing "today's date" as the capture date.

The investigation continues, but thank you for raising it here It's important for the developers to be made aware.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Incorrect statement:

Essentially, if photos have been previously resized on export (as I know you do), capture dates are somehow reset.

Further testing reveals that other photo editing apps interpret the capture date from exported photos correctly, so the capture dates aren't "reset". They're misinterpreted by PhD.

PIX PIX YouTube channel