Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to prevent pixellation on camera cuts?
OGBPerson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2022 19:20 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

The videos I produce contain a lot of quick cuts (they're curated collections of sports highlights). Something I've noticed is that the final output video will often pixelate in the frame immediately after one of these cuts (this is not in the source video) and it's incredibly noticeable.

I've tried Googling this issue - but haven't really found any workable solution. I've tried maxing out the bitrate and various other settings, but none of them seem to have any effect. I've been using a 1080p output profile, 60fps, HVEC. Is there a setting or something that I can enable to eliminate this frame of pixelation or a different encoder I should be using? Since it probably matters, YouTube is the final destination.
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi all,

The videos I produce contain a lot of quick cuts (they're curated collections of sports highlights). Something I've noticed is that the final output video will often pixelate in the frame immediately after one of these cuts (this is not in the source video) and it's incredibly noticeable.

I've tried Googling this issue - but haven't really found any workable solution. I've tried maxing out the bitrate and various other settings, but none of them seem to have any effect. I've been using a 1080p output profile, 60fps, HVEC. Is there a setting or something that I can enable to eliminate this frame of pixelation or a different encoder I should be using? Since it probably matters, YouTube is the final destination.

Hi,
I'm not an expert in the technicalities, and there are members who's knowledge is deeper than mine but I'd hazard a guess that you are seeing the effect of GOP structure and production parameters.

With regards to GOP structure of source materials - not all frames are equal. The camera encoders have already been at work compressing and adjusting the footage.
Splitting source footage randomly, usually by "event" like foot over the line etc. might effect the the "reading" of the file as it may disrupt the GOP structure.
This blog post is an easy to follow explanation of GOP structures and influences. Not endorsing this one, just an easy to follow explanation.
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/media/part-1-back-to-basics-gops-explained/

The same principle also applies when rendering parameters are applied - the chosen encoder needs to work out the best way to compress and retain quality with low file size etc. etc. so maybe you are seeing the effects of encoding rapidly changing frames, perhaps with insufficient information to accurately do so?

All that might be fine but what can practically reduce your issue?
Not sure but I would probably do a structured trial on several production parameters to see if anything lessens or stops the issue, then move on to more advanced custom profiles to see if you can tie it down further.
I'm not sure there's a magic bullet but a simple change - no SVRT, or a change in codec - might just find what you need, if not I think experimentation is your path!

I came across what appears to be a similar issue here
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/voukoder-render-has-pixleated-frames-around-some-event-transitions--129720/

Other folk might have suggestions?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do