Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
User Defined Template in Menu Designer
Greg N. [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Sydney, Australia. Joined: Jan 05, 2010 17:51 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have captured a movie via VHS Tape. I have made up 36 Chapters with Thumbnails. I previouslly saved a Snapshot JPEG image 720x540 34.8kb in size to use as the Menu background. After I set it up & save it I then try to burn a it DVD but a message comes up 'EITHER A MENU THUMBNAIL(MENU CAPTION) OR THE NAVIGATION BUTTONS ARE CURRENTLY OVERLAPPING. TRY ADJUSTING THEM FOR THIS DISC FORMAT, is displayed. I have tried several times to adjust what I think is causing it but I still get the same message. I sent this message to Tech.Support & told me something different to try. I then tried the following: In menu designer I click on 'SET BACKGROUND IMAGE OR VIDEO' I import the image but then another message says 'There is a conflicting Aspect Ratio & to choose one of the following 1.CROP 2. LETTERBOX. 3.STRETCH. I tried each of these but still get the same result.
Is there something in the ROOT MENU different to the TITLES/CHAPTERS MENU? Also when any adjustments have been made to the template after pressing OK a screen says 'Save As Template' Enter a Name for the User Defined Template' I do that OK. Underneath that it says 'Use the Slider to Mark the Frame you wan't to use as the Thumbnail for the template.' What does this actually do? Sorry about the lenghth of this question but I thought I should make it clear want I mean. Thanks.[list]
Chris W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2009 07:41 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Greg,

I have used the Menu creation the last couple of days to make some custom menu's for Fringe and Dexter episodes I record in HD. So I understand some of your questions and I'll try to answer what I can.

The menu designer can be a bit tricky the first time. Mostly for me it's been trial and error.

The overlapping issue means a button or displayed clip is converged with another button. It's a bit tricky to find the offending button, but make sure the "thumbnail frames" are not close to each other. Click on one (in menu design) and make sure the light grey outlined box is not overlapping another thumbnail frame. Also make sure they highlight with a color you select in the designer menus! I've burned a disc once without checking.

When I make backgrounds I tend to use the PIP option instead of importing a jpg or video. You can resize to full if you need to or you can delete if you don't like it. For some reason the Menu designer only lets you import and not delete the background, it's crazy, but that what I found.

Save As Template, enter a name for your template. It will appear on the left hand side and you can use it for your projects or delete it after you are done. I'm guessing the slider/thumbnail might generate a jpg if you are making a blu ray menu. The player can display this picture once the disc is loaded, but this is only a guess. I usually just edit an XML file and load my picture into the META folder under the BDMV structure.

Once you have everything designed and saved. Double click on your new menu and click apply to all.

The menu designer takes a bit of trial and error to get something useful for sure.

good luck
cwh
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
The slider/thumbnail is to select the image that will be displayed to represent that menu in the menu list in the Create Disc mode. That would be especially useful if you use a video for the menu background.
MJR [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Michigan Joined: Dec 16, 2009 18:32 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chris W

You say, "When I make backgrounds I tend to use the PIP option instead of importing a jpg or video. "

Where is the "PIP option" in Menu Designer?

I have not found any reasonable way to added PIP to the Main Menu (Root Menu) without trying to edit XML files.

Do you perhaps referring to the "buttons" on the Chapter menues? (They create the PIP effect on chapter menues).

I have found this menu designer to be anything but useful.

The navigation buttons, the frames for the buttons (meaning the frames around the PIP chapters), and the highlights (for the buttons) are all low res, and have yet to find a way to modify them so that they look professional and not home-made.

==> Mike.
Chris W [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2009 07:41 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, am referring to the buttons on the Chapter Menu, I beleive there is also one on the Main Menu.

I agree, the menu designer is not the best.