Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Best way to transfer PD 365 to another computer.
ozstar [Avatar]
Member Location: Sydney OZ Joined: Apr 21, 2012 20:13 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have a Win 10 box that the disk is damaged and will crash at any time.

I need to transfer programs to another box.

What is the best way to do this with 365 please.

Thanks

oz
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
The first thing you should do is to make a full system backup and save the image to an external/USB drive. There are plenty of free and paid apps, and please do that ASAP.

Some of the backup utilities will let you transfer that system image to a new PC, and the only downside is you may have to deal with your new box vendor and/or Microsoft to license your old Windows on the new machine. It may be worth starting out with that as long as you make a system image of the brand new C: drive so you can restore that and start over if needed.

As long as you have a good internet connection, Windows should be able to run and configure itself to use the new hardware after a few restarts.

If you have to do a manual transfer, you'll have to track down every single folder with Cyberlink in the name and copy the contents over once you have PD installed on the new system. The folders will be scattered all over your C: drive, although ones like Program Files and Program Data will be added and filled properly when installing PD,

Your customized and downloaded content will be in places like C:\Users\[user name]\AppData and possibly the OneDrive libraries. I have 87 total folders on my system with Cyberlink in the name (although I also have Director Suite and 3 earlier versions of PD installed), so it's not a trivial task.

In the past, I've typically just started over and added the downloaded content (from DirectorZone) afterwards.

The main issue with this approach is that PD assigns each downloaded component a numerical value based on the order it was installed, and if you open up a project on the new system that called for the title residing at C:\Users\Public\Cyberlink\Downloaded Titles\title006 on the old PC, you may get a completely different title (or an error message) if you installed the titles in a different otrder (or forgot to download the same titles).

TL;DR If you're mostly going forward and not needing to reopen older projects, it's quicker to start fresh on the new machine and download any titles and other online content as needed. If you need to be able to access older projects as they were saved, you'll want to make a system image and transfer it to the new system
ozstar [Avatar]
Member Location: Sydney OZ Joined: Apr 21, 2012 20:13 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Many thanks, I will give this a go.