Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cyberlink Rendering Underachievment?
Mapacho [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2019 07:49 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I'm fairly new to using Cyberlink Powerdirector so maybe this is actually good performance?

I'm rendering a 13 minute 1920 x 1080 29.97 video with Cyberlink PowerDirector 20 and the best I can do is about 28 minutes rendering time and it doesn't seem to matter much what codec or bitrate I use etc.

Compared to Vegas Pro 15 which gives me real-time (or sometimes better) rendering speed, I feel like Cyberlink is underachieving?

My computer is an Asus i7-5820K CPU, 32 gb ram with an AMD R9 290x video card with 4 GB of ram, Windoze 10 64 bit and PowerDirector set as a "high performance" app in the Windoze graphics setting. My GPU driver is updated.

The video itself is nothing spectacular, just me talking with some PIP photos overlays, a few text overlays etc.,

In PD preferences under Hardware Acceleration, I Enabled hardware decoding and Optimized the GPU performance.

When I render, I select Fast video rendering technology with the "AMD Video Coding Engine" being the only selection that PD will let me make (SVRT is greyed out).

The CPU comes in at about 65% utilization, GPU around 16 to 18%, and Ram at about 6.4 GB out of 25 GB available.

I tried a few codecs and video bitrates and they all seem to come in around the 27 or 28 minute mark, with similar hardware performance (see attached screen shots).

I'm just wondering how this is for PD? Is this good, average or poor rendering speeds given the above specs? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
[Thumb - GPU.JPG]
 Filename
GPU.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
74 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
[Thumb - CPU.JPG]
 Filename
CPU.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
65 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
[Thumb - Memory.JPG]
 Filename
Memory.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 18. 2022 17:56

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The rendering time also depends on the bitrate. On AVC h.264 doubling and tripling the bitrate on cuts only type editing and rendering time can be cut in half. It is still faster if the Profile analyzer/SVRT can be used.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I'm rendering a 13 minute 1920 x 1080 29.97 video with Cyberlink PowerDirector 20 and the best I can do is about 28 minutes rendering time and it doesn't seem to matter much what codec or bitrate I use etc.

Since you state no change with bitrate or codec, that makes it sound that you've enhanced the timeline in some fashion. Have you done a color correction or some other "fix" to the clip as your pics show you are CPU bound, as you have HT on.

Jeff
Mapacho [Avatar]
[Post New]

Since you state no change with bitrate or codec, that makes it sound that you've enhanced the timeline in some fashion. Have you done a color correction or some other "fix" to the clip as your pics show you are CPU bound, as you have HT on.

Jeff

OK, yes that's it Jeff. I do have a color enhancement so maybe that's what's bogging down the process. I'm going to try it without and see what happens!

Thanks for the observation!
Mapacho [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, I took the color enhancement off the video - I had applied the "Architecture Color Enhance" effect and the rending was FAST. Like 3 to 1 rendering vs actual timeline. So the entire video would have rendered in 4 minutes or so.

CPU use was minimal, memory was minimal but GPU was spiked at 100% and, like I said, incredibly fast. Thanks for the input! This was the first video I produced using PowerDirector and it won't be the last. Very nice program! Highly recommended.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK, yes that's it Jeff. I do have a color enhancement so maybe that's what's bogging down the process. I'm going to try it without and see what happens!

Thanks for the observation!

Yes, a color enhancement can dominate produce times and slow down production as this enhancement is a 100% CPU process task in PD. Your 6 CPU physical cores are 100% saturated as you are showing 68% with HT on which is based on 12 logical processors which can't be effectively utilized.

In such case your CPU is the bottleneck and GPU is underutilized. If you remove "fix" GPU loads will go up and CPU down.

Jeff