Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
color matching process isn't applied to files
hoodoo voodoo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 14, 2015 04:57 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using PD 19 with latest patch. I have 3 six minute video footage files from the 3 cameras covering a concert. I drag 2 of them onto the time line and apply Color Match, using the best as reference. I click Apply and then the resulting matched file shows up on the timeline with a small indented "i" in the item, indicating that it has "received" the matching. I do the same with the reference file and the 3rd clip (ie only target and reference are used) and again the item shows an "i"

So on the same time line are 3 files sequentially..the first is the reference, the following 2 items both have "i" I'm assuming I have applied/saved/encoded the matching into the items/files in the Media Room, even though I haven't re-saved these newly matched items ?

When I open them in Multicam Designer via 'Plugins" and import the 3 videoclips into the Multicam encoder, I notice that the color matching has NOT been applied to these files. When I do the Multicam production, and produce the edited 'collage' of the 3 cam's footage...again, the initial matching I did on the timeline hasn't 'stuck' to these files/clips after Color Match...even though I clicked Apply at the end of each match.

What have I done wrong...why doesn't Color Match stick to the matched files and/or why doesn't it follow them through the Multicam production step ?

Thank you

Ray
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Many kinds of timeline edits don't follow the clips into the plug-in tools, and it looks like the MCD and color match is one of those unusable combinations.

One way to deal with this would be to apply the color match to one of the clips then produce that clip all by itself to "bake-in" the color match. Do the same thing with the third clip, then import the produced versions of those clips into the MCD along with the original and do the rest of your editing.

The other option would be to do the MCD edits without the color match and then manually color match each of the 2nd and 3rd clip sections to the original. Although it sounds like a lot more work, that might be quicker than pre-producing the two clips upfront if there aren't many camera changes and/or if it looks like producing the two entire clips on their own will take longer then doing a single producing run at the end.

You can get an estimate of that by applying color match to one of the clips then going to the Produce page and using the Profile Analyzer to pick the correct settings, then start producing and see how long it'll likely take.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2022 01:44

hoodoo voodoo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Many kinds of timeline edits don't follow the clips into the plug-in tools, and it looks like the MCD and color match is one of those unusable combinations.

One way to deal with this would be to apply the color match to one of the clips then produce that clip all by itself to "bake-in" the color match. Do the same thing with the third clip, then import the produced versions of those clips into the MCD along with the original and do the rest of your editing.

The other option would be to do the MCD edits without the color match and then manually color match each of the 2nd and 3rd clip sections to the original. Although it sounds like a lot more work, that might be quicker than pre-producing the two clips upfront if there aren't many camera changes and/or if it looks like producing the two entire clips on their own will take longer then doing a single producing run at the end.

You can get an estimate of that by applying color match to one of the clips then going to the Produce page and using the Profile Analyzer to pick the correct settings, then start producing and see how long it'll likely take.

Thank you for that advice...as they're only 6 minute clips I have produced the 'matched' versions first, before doing the MCD process (there are probably 30+ camera swaps, so that's a fair bit of fiddling and tweaking for each one).

I think it's pretty clunky of PDto not bake-in those colour matches (or to at least prompt users to 'save as' before proceeding)...you'd think any sort of work using more than 1 camera is almost certainly going to require color matching, and MCD is one of the most predictable and often-used of those processes. It's just annoying to have to add another workflow process-step to something as basic to multicam editing ?

Anyway, I think you've given me a solution...and I appreciate that ! Is there any channel or mechanism to raise this as a bug-fix or feature request with the developers ?
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Thank you for that advice...as they're only 6 minute clips I have produced the 'matched' versions first, before doing the MCD process (there are probably 30+ camera swaps, so that's a fair bit of fiddling and tweaking for each one).

I think it's pretty clunky of PDto not bake-in those colour matches (or to at least prompt users to 'save as' before proceeding)...you'd think any sort of work using more than 1 camera is almost certainly going to require color matching, and MCD is one of the most predictable and often-used of those processes. It's just annoying to have to add another workflow process-step to something as basic to multicam editing ?

Anyway, I think you've given me a solution...and I appreciate that ! Is there any channel or mechanism to raise this as a bug-fix or feature request with the developers ?

Hi,

Glad you have a work-around.

File>Rate Us and Provide Suggestions

gets your suggestions to the right place.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
hoodoo voodoo [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi,

Glad you have a work-around.

File>Rate Us and Provide Suggestions

gets your suggestions to the right place.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

Thank you, I have sent this suggestion to the Development team as a suggestion.