Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Couple of questions if I may please?
MrSteveVee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2022 09:16 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all, potential new user here, I have just downloaded and giving PHd a trial, just a couple of questions if I may please?

I cannot seem to find a way to filter via rating, i'ms sure it must be here somewhere, is there something I am missing?

If I keep the software I will be importing around 150K or so images. I am a heavy user of Keywords (tags) and on my initial test of 2K images it looks like tags are being pulled into the software although I seem to have lost the hierachy of them, pity but I can rebuild that, however what I cannot fathom out is how to set up a smart album to look for any non tagged images to check, anyone know how to do this please?

Thank all
Steve
[Post New]
Hello Steve,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum laughing You may certainly ask questions. Members will assist as best they can.

In PhD, you cannot "filter" by rating, but you can certainly "sort" photos by rating.

When you say you "lost the hierachy" of you tags, I'm assuming you mean the photos were tagged in other software previously. Is that correct? If so, I'll need to do some further testing on this issue.

On you final question, there are many parameters on which to build a Smart Collection but I don't think there's a way to build a collection of untagged photos.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
MrSteveVee [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2022 09:16 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hello Steve,

Welcome to the PhotoDirector forum "laughing" You may certainly ask questions. Members will assist as best they can.

In PhD, you cannot "filter" by rating, but you can certainly "sort" photos by rating.

When you say you "lost the hierachy" of you tags, I'm assuming you mean the photos were tagged in other software previously. Is that correct? If so, I'll need to do some further testing on this issue.

On you final question, there are many parameters on which to build a Smart Collection but I don't think there's a way to build a collection of untagged photos.

PIX

Hi Pix, thanks for answering my queries. Yes I have used several different software packages over the years Elements, Lightroom to name a couple and the current one AcDsee. I have the Images in acdsee with hieratical keywords (tags). Acdsee is "ok" but is a bit buggy, quite slow and quite clunky, plus their roadmap for bug fixes it to purchase the next version.

Over the years my little cluster of images has been modified, moved, lost, found, mixed and stirred and has version done via different packages plus quite a few dups that have somehow appeared over the years. Within the limitations of Acdsee I devised a way to help police this using the ratings. 1 = poss reject, 2 = working copy, 3 Tif f that AcDsee cannot edit(for some unknown reason) so has to be converted and using these I can filter on "Non rated" as the masters or not looked at yet. However I have discovered tha PhD has stacking (I used this a lot in lightroom) and using stacking I can slowly put the images together and dispense with the need for ratings , AcDsee does not believe stacking is useful!

I am slowly importing the images for a big test to see how it fares speed wise. AcDsee takes a quitre a while to display images using the tags, however I am finding that not only has PhD lost the hierachy but thare are also quite a few do not have their tags associated with them at all. At the moment I have not looked in depth to see if there is a pattern (image type) as I have many Tiff/Dng/Nef/Raf/Jpeg/PSD/acdc/ and probably some other obscure ones as well lol . In AcDsee there is an option to imbed metadata into the image and that has been executed, I also I have a macro to put AcDsee keywords into the IPTC keywords but IPCT cannot cope with Hierachy so I am guessing the PhD is using the IPTCs keywords for the tags and that is why the hierachy is gone and somehow AcDsee has not imbedded them correctly wne the mcro runs. This could well be the case, AcDsee has many bugs

The good news is that the main Tag structure mirrors the folder structure so Buildings->Castles->Dover Castle is physically in that folder, so when I import that folder I can then block assign them to the Tag to catch any missed ones. The down side is, there are hundreds of folders like Nature->Birds->Avocet lol so its gonna take a while!

Inclidentaly I imported my real estate images that I kept for old times sake, selected them and put them en-mass to the Real Estate Tag. Around 32000 lol, and I left it thinking about it and went to bed. I didn't crash! impressive, it had completed when I got up

Aplogies for boring you to death! It was good to type it in to help to collect my thoughts on the usage of PhD, now time to load in some more folders. I have completed the Buildings so only about another 100,000 images to go !!!
Steve .