Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disabling Microphone Doesn't Work
Ricebug [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 18, 2022 19:02 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using Director Suite 365 Screen Recorder SE Version 4.2.9.15396, which is the latest version.

I'm doing video-only screen captures. I don't need a microphone. Problem is, when I turn off or disable the mic, the nag screen tells me I need to set up the mic. F8 is supposed to turn off the mic, but it does nothing... I still get the nag screen. Nothing in Preferences to permanently disable it.

The mic runs through a mixing board, which routes through an ASIO interface. When shut off, the screen capture software should not be able to "see" the mic.

I can get around it but still, having to click Cancel, OK, etc each time I click on Record is a PITA, Any better solutions out there?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure what nag screen you're seeing. If your mic is truly disabled in Windows, hitting the F8 key would show this message and SR would never bug you when starting a recording:

Also, there wouldn't be any choices listed in either the Microphone or Input Device fields from the Preferences menu:

If I run SR on a device with a mic, I don't see any nag screen if the mic is enabled or disabled, so maybe share a screenshot so we can see what you're seeing. It actually sounds more like a Windows notification that an app is allowed to use your mic, and that can be turned off from Settings | System | Notifications
Ricebug [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a hastily made video to show what I'm getting. I didn't bother editing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CRZEXHWgsQ

I'm using a screen capture utility (Action!) to capture a screen capture utility. surprised
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for that clever screen-recording-app-recording-a-screen-recording-app workaroundđź‘Ť

I saw that "mic not set up" screen once on my Surface Book 3 when I was checking this issue, but I still didn't get any warning after starting recording. What happens if you first set up a mic rather than trying to force it out of existence? Choose anything from the drop-down menu and then set it to Off from Preferences. No need to change any sliders or do anything else - simply set it to Off.

If nothing shows up under the dropdown menu, make sure your whole audio chain is turned on and start at least one screen recording to verify that you don't get the pop-up screen. Then you can power it all down and see if SR behaves itself.
Ricebug [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Choose anything from the drop-down menu and then set it to Off from Preferences. No need to change any sliders or do anything else - simply set it to Off.

If nothing shows up under the dropdown menu, make sure your whole audio chain is turned on and start at least one screen recording to verify that you don't get the pop-up screen. Then you can power it all down and see if SR behaves itself.

Alas, I tried those things, also. No joy.
optodata
[Post New]
Sounds like you should contact CL tech support. Include a link to this discussion so they can see all the things you've tried so far.
optodata
[Post New]
I don't know if this is related in any way to your issue, but there's a new Screen Recorder version (4.3.0.19614) out now and you can install it using the CL App Manager (CAM).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 22. 2022 19:17

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Ricebug - See the screenshot. I don’t have your mixing board with the ASIO interface. You may want to change the Windows settings of the Input device from the Microphone to the Stereo Mix to avoid all those Microphone messages and popups. I had to change it though the audio driver as Windows keeps defaulting back to the microphone and the Stereo mix cannot and was never enabled through Windows settings.
[Thumb - Input device change to Stereo Mix.png]
 Filename
Input device change to Stereo Mix.png
[Disk]
 Description
Set the Audio driver to enable and use stereo mix first so Windows can see it.
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
Ricebug [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought I answered this but apparently not. Anyways, tech support had me D/L an update to the Screen Recorder. It fixed the problem.