Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Playing 4k Video to Google Chromecast
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]
I have a question that I am not sure is a PowerDVD question. I have a short piece of 4K MP4 (264) video taken by a drone, PowerDVD 21 will play this video to the desktop monitor but does not play the video to a Google Chromecast. VLC Media Player will play the same piece of video to the Google Chromecast and hence the TV.

If I take the video clip and "Produce" it in Power Director the resultant 4K video (HEVC) clip can be played to the Chromecast /TV.

Any thoughts.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have a question that I am not sure is a PowerDVD question. I have a short piece of 4K MP4 (264) video taken by a drone, PowerDVD 21 will play this video to the desktop monitor but does not play the video to a Google Chromecast. VLC Media Player will play the same piece of video to the Google Chromecast and hence the TV.

If I take the video clip and "Produce" it in Power Director the resultant 4K video (HEVC) clip can be played to the Chromecast /TV.

Any thoughts.

I am sure the drone uses a custom codec to encode the video, similar to what most dashcams do. PowerDVD only supports certain codecs for streaming, that's why when converting to HEVC there is no problem. So the custom codecs might need to be converted first using Handbrake or Powerdirector.

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdvd/21/pc-mode/enu/06_01_01_video-casting-details.html

Dave
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]

I am sure the drone uses a custom codec to encode the video, similar to what most dashcams do. PowerDVD only supports certain codecs for streaming, that's why when converting to HEVC there is no problem. So the custom codecs might need to be converted first using Handbrake or Powerdirector.

https://help.cyberlink.com/stat/help/powerdvd/21/pc-mode/enu/06_01_01_video-casting-details.html

Dave

Thanks for this reply Dave, I think I'll try recording in HEVC to see if the result is any different. In reality I normally want to edit the video prior to playing it as raw footage contains a lot of dross.